This circular walk starts in the middle of Grantham and offers plenty of variety. The route takes you through a pleasant park, beside the River Witham and then joins field paths and tracks around Harrowby. After a short uphill section, you are rewarded with some fine views. A short stretch through a residential area completes the walk.
3.5 miles (5.75 kilometres)
- Starting point
Car park at the entrance to Wyndham Park
Grid reference SK 917 364
- Go through the brick arch by the car park entrance into Wyndham Park. Take the first path on the left. Walk between the bowling green and the sports field. After approximately 300 metres where the path splits, you can either continue along the bank of the river Witham or go through the kissing gate and across the meadow. These paths meet up again to take you through to Stonebridge Road.
- Cross over Stonebridge Road and follow the path as it bears diagonally left through another small park called Stonebridge Close.
- On reaching the main road turn left. Walk up to the junction and bear right (signed for crematorium).
- Take narrow path to the left. It is marked by a public footpath sign. Continue on this path on a gentle incline. There will be houses on your left and the cemetery on your right. Follow the path through the new part of the cemetery, up some steps and follow the tarmac path and then grass path to the corner. Go through the gate, up some steps and turn left to continue uphill, to the right of the house. You will reach a farm track and a junction of paths.
- Continue straight ahead on the track, a public footpath.
- After approximately 200 metres, where the track bends to the right, bear left and take the path between the fence and hedge. After approximately 130 metres go through the gate in the hedge and turn left to continue in the same direction along the field edge. At a path junction continue straight along the field edge and then straight on between two hedges, finally emerging onto a narrow tarmac road.
- Turn left along the tarmac road.
- Where the road turns sharply to the right on the outskirts of Harrowby village, bear left by some farm buildings, signed restricted byway. Continue down a track just to the right of the entrance to Harrowby Hall. Continue downhill along the field edge.
- After approximately 550 metres turn left up the slope at a footpath sign. Then keeping a tall hedgerow on your left, continue along this field edge path for approximately 600 metres. You will come to a large tree and junction of paths. Turn right.
- Follow a broad grass track down the hill towards the houses. Aim just to the right of the electricity pylon. Go through a gap in the hedge and continue straight ahead on a path between the houses.
- Cross over the main road (with care) and walk down Hill Avenue.
- Take the second road on the right (Gorse Rise) and, after approximately 75m, turn left onto a footpath. This brings you out opposite the car park and your starting point.
- Download map
- Accessibility and suitability
The walk uses tarmac footpaths, field tracks and urban pavements. There is a short ascent and descent with moderate gradients. It may be muddy in places in wet weather. You are unlikely to encounter stiles and livestock.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- village or town
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- Map of starting point