This circular walk starts in the middle of Grantham and offers plenty of variety. The route takes you through a pleasant park, beside the River Witham and then joins field paths and tracks around Harrowby. After a short uphill section, you are rewarded with some fine views. A short stretch through a residential area completes the walk. The route is shown in red on the drawing.
3.5 miles (5.75 kilometres)
- Starting point
Car park at the entrance to Wyndham Park
Grid reference SK 917 364
- Go through the brick arch by the car park entrance into Wyndham Park. Take the first path on the left Pass between the bowling green and the sports field. Where the path splits, you can either continue along the bank of the Witham or go through the kissing gate and across the meadow. These paths meet up again to take you through to Stonebridge Road.
- Cross over Stonebridge Road and follow the path as it bears diagonally left through another small park called Stonebridge Close.
- On reaching the main road turn left. Walk up to the junction and bear right (signed for crematorium).
- Take narrow path to the left. It is marked by a public footpath sign. Continue on this path on a gentle incline. There will be houses on your left and the cemetery on your right. Follow through the new part of the cemetery and through grass fields. You will reach a farm track and a junction of paths.
- Continue ahead on the track at the cottage.
- After 200m bear left at a hedge line just after the track bends to the left. Walk along the field edge with the hedge on your left. Walk towards a belt of trees on the horizon. Go past an area of scrub and rough ground (on your left) until you reach a junction of paths. Go straight on, now keeping a tall hedge on your left. Continue ahead at another junction of paths, finally emerging onto a narrow tarmac road.
- Turn left along the tarmac road.
- Where the road turns sharply to the right on the outskirts of Harrowby village, bear left by some farm buildings. Then continue down a track just to the right of the entrance to Harrowby Hall. Continue downhill along the field edge.
- Turn left up the slope at a footpath sign. Then keeping a tall hedgerow on your left, continue along this field edge path. You will come to the large tree and junction of paths and then turn right.
- Follow a broad grass track down the hill towards the houses. Aim just to the right of the electricity pylon. Go through a gap in the hedge and continue straight ahead on a path between the houses.
- Cross over the main road (with care) and walk down Hill Avenue.
- Take the second road on the right (Gorse Rise) and, after approximately 75m, turn left onto a footpath. This brings you out opposite the car park and your starting point.
- Download map
The walk makes use of tarmac footpaths, field tracks and urban pavements. Both versions of the walk include a short ascent and descent with moderate gradients. It may be muddy in places in wet weather. There may also be stiles and livestock.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- village or town
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- Map of starting point