This circular walk starts in the middle of Grantham and offers plenty of variety. The route takes you through a pleasant park, beside the River Witham and then joins field paths and tracks around Harrowby. After a short uphill section, you are rewarded with some fine views. A short stretch through a residential area completes the walk.
2.25 miles (3.75 kilometres)
- Starting point
Car park at the entrance to Wyndham Park
Grid reference SK 917 364
- Go through the brick arch by the car park entrance into Wyndham Park. Take the first path on the left Pass between the bowling green and the sports field. Where the path splits, you can either continue along the bank of the Witham or go through the kissing gate and across the meadow. These paths meet up again to take you through to Stonebridge Road.
- Cross over Stonebridge Road and follow the path as it bears diagonally left through another small park called Stonebridge Close.
- On reaching the main road turn left. Walk up to the junction and bear right (signed for crematorium).
- Take narrow path to the left. It is marked by a public footpath sign. Continue on this path on a gentle incline. There will be houses on your left and the cemetery on your right. Follow through the new part of the cemetery and through grass fields. You will reach a farm track and a junction of paths.
- Turn left at this junction and walk along the edge of the field. There will be occasional glimpses of the town below and to your left. Keep stright on at the next junction of paths, in a shallow dip. Then reach another junction by a large tree. Turn left here to rejoin the longer route at point ten.
10. Follow a broad grass track down the hill towards the houses. Aim just to the right of the electricity pylon. Go through a gap in the hedge and continue straight ahead on a path between the houses.
11. Cross over the main road (with care) and walk down Hill Avenue.
12. Take the second road on the right (Gorse Rise) and, after approximately 75m, turn left onto a footpath. This brings you out opposite the car park and your starting point.
- Download map
The walk makes use of tarmac footpaths, field tracks and urban pavements. Both versions of the walk include a short ascent and descent with moderate gradients. It may be muddy in places in wet weather. There may also be stiles and livestock.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- village or town
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- Map of starting point