This circular walk links the villages of Halton Holegate and Toynton All Saints on the southern edge of the Wolds. There are views towards the Wolds and the wide open fens. Mostly level walking it may be muddy and uneven in places. Halton Holegate is located one mile (one kilometre) south-east of Spilsby.
3.75 miles (six kilometres)
- Starting point
The Bell Inn
Grid reference: TF 416 652
- From the pub walk eastwards down the hill heading towards St Andrew’s Church.
- As the road bends to the left take the public footpath on the right to the church. Follow the path along the hedge and past the church and out into the field. Bear diagonally right to the far right corner of the field. Follow the footpath through a private garden to the road.
- Turn left, walk past the school to the second public footpath on the right, as the road bends. Continue in the same direction through a copse, paddocks and gardens (following the waymarkers) to a bridge. Cross the bridge and keep to the left edge of the next field to the road.
- Turn right and follow the road for approximately 50m. Turn right into the field following the public footpath sign. Walk along the edge of the field keeping the hedge on the right for 300m then bear diagonally left across the field to a wooden bridge. The tower of St Peter’s Church at Toynton St Peter can be seen ahead.
- Cross the two bridges and bear right to the start of the hedge and small copse to a waymarker post. Go through the hedge and cross the field by bearing diagonally left and following the footpath sign to the tree and gap in the hedge line and another footpath sign. Cross into the next field and bear left to another footpath sign on the roadside, halfway along the field hedge.
- Turn right and follow the road into Toynton St Peter. In the village turn right towards Toynton All Saints and then right along Church Lane.
- Continue past the church and along the field edge, with the hedge on the right, on the public footpath. Where the hedge turns right, bear left across the field to the corner. Cross the bridge and walk straight across the next field towards Spilsby church tower in the distance. At the track turn right, and at the junction of paths and tracks turn right up the track marked public bridleway. Rejoin the instructions for the longer walk at 11 to return to Halton Holegate.
11. At the next junction turn right along the track marked public bridleway. Follow the track as it turns into a tarmac road and enters Halton Holegate. Look out for an information board that will tell you more about the area. At the end of the lane turn left to return to the starting point.
- Download map
Mostly level walking using field paths and green lanes, it can be muddy and wet in places.
- Facilities available on this walk
- Features of this walk
- Map of starting point