A circular walk into the Lincolnshire Wolds area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB). The walk climbs gently through the countryside and uses field paths, tracks and quiet roads and may be muddy and wet in places. The route is shown in red on the drawing.
5.5 miles (9 kilometres)
- Starting point
The Market Place
Grid reference TF 258 696
- With your back to the Post Office walk across the Market Place towards the Bank. Turn left along High Street to its junction with North Street and Bull Ring.
- Take Banks Street, the narrow street directly in front of you. At the end of Banks Street is the River Waring. Follow the river to a T-junction.
- Turn left and then take the next right, Bowl Alley Lane. Walk past the schools and where the road bends to the left, follow the waymarked lane that goes straight ahead behind the houses. Continue along this path as it turns left to reach a road.
- Turn right and walk along the road, taking the left fork to Fulletby
- At the next road junction turn left onto the public bridleway. Follow the waymarkers and Viking Way signs as the bridleway turns right, left and then right again before meeting another bridleway. Turn left at this junction towards West Ashby village. At the A153 road turn right. Just before the church turn left along Birch Lane, and turn left again at the end. Rejoin the longer walk directions at 12.
12. At the end of the track take the footpath on the right. Go through the gate, turn left and follow the field edge to where the path goes left through the hedge. Turn right and follow the hedge to the road.
13.Turn left and at the crossroads turn right. After approximately 150m turn left onto a public footpath which crosses two fields. Aim for a gap in the hedge to the right of the single tree. Continue at a slight angle to the right, to a group of trees and shrubs and a bridge over the River Bain.
14. Cross the bridge, turn left then right through a garden past Thimbleby Mill and onto a lane.
15. Follow this lane through the outskirts of Horncastle to a T-junction. Turn left to return to the Market Place.
- Download map
This walk uses field paths, tracks and quiet lanes which may be uneven and muddy in places. The shorter walk is stile free but you may encounter stiles on the longer walk.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- Map of starting point