Enjoy a circular walk through the arable landscape at the foot of the Lincolnshire Edge around Ingham and Coates. Visit a medieval church, the site of a medieval settlement, and enjoy far reaching views across the Trent Valley. Ingham lies eight miles north of Lincoln, west of the A15. This walk uses field paths, tracks and quiet lanes, and may be muddy in places.
5.5 miles (nine kilometres)
- Starting point
Grid reference: SK 945 833
- Leave the car park and walk towards the village green. Keep to the left with the village shop ahead of you. Turn left and walk along West End. Follow West End as it bends to the left and then right and becomes Long Lane.
- For the longer walk continue along the road.
- At a junction with a track follow the footpath to the right signed to Coates. Just before the track bends to the left, turn left through a small copse, and then continue in the same direction along the field edge.
- Cross the bridge, turn right and then almost immediately left and follow the field edge. Just before the end of the third field cross the bridge on your right and turn left and follow the track through the farm yard.
- Join the lane and continue on in the same direction, alongside a line of Lombardy poplar trees, to St Edith’s Church in Coates. Retrace your footsteps through the farm, across the fields and through the copse to the junction with the lane and the wooden footpath sign.
- Continue straight along the lane, signed footpath 238, past the houses, and onto the track.
- As the track bends right follow the footpath on the left into the field. Walk straight across the field aiming to the footpath sign in the hedgeline.
- Turn right and follow the field edge to the corner. Turn left over the bridge and continue straight on along the field edge.
- Cross the bridge and continue along the field edge. At the end of the field cross the bridge on the right and walk with the dyke on your left heading towards the sewage works. Go to the left of the sewage works and cross the dyke, and continue with the hedge on your right.
- At the end of the field turn left towards the village. This footpath will lead you back to the Village Hall and car park.
- Download map
Has no stiles.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- Map of starting point