A circular walk from Legbourne village through Legbourne Wood nature reserve and the surrounding countryside, on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds.
5.5 miles (nine kilometres)
- Starting point
Village pump at the junction of Church Lane and Station Road
Grid reference: TF 367 843
- From the village pump, cross the main road with care and follow the public footpath opposite diagonally across the field. At the road turn left and after 50m turn right between two houses to a bridge. Cross the bridge and turn left and follow the footpath beside a ditch to a bridge. Cross the bridge and follow the footpath to a track.
- Turn right to a road. Turn left and follow the road as it becomes a track and bridleway.
- On the right is the entrance to Legbourne Wood nature reserve. Enter the reserve and follow the track straight ahead, the line of the old railway. Access to the wood is by kind permission of Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust, please keep to the waymarked route and keep dogs on leads. After approximately 300m turn right into the woodland and follow the waymarked walk through the wood to return to the track. Leave the reserve through the gate on the right and turn right along the bridleway. If Legbourne Wood reserve is closed, instead of entering the reserve, continue ahead along the bridleway and past the second entrance to the reserve.
- After approximately 700m at a junction of bridleways, turn right. At the lane turn left.
- At the T junction turn right.
- Follow the road for approximately 0.5 miles (900m) to a footpath on the right. Bear left across the field to the brow of the hill, then continue in the same direction to the corner of the field. Walk alongside the hedge in the next field before turning left over a bridge. Walk straight on beside the ditch and hedge and then alongside Legbourne wood. At the corner of the wood turn right then left to cross the field to the hedge and then walk straight ahead along the field edge. Turn right over a bridge and bear slightly left to cross the field to a road.
- Turn left and follow the road as it bends right by the ford, to return to the centre of Legbourne and the starting point.
- Download map
- Accessibility and suitability
Suitable for families with older children.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point