A short walk between the two villages of Marston and Hougham
2.5 miles (four kilometres)
- Starting point
Hougham & Marston Village Hall
Grid reference: SK 894 441
- Leave the village hall car park and turn right along the main road.
- After approximately 200m turn left to Hougham.
- In Hougham village take the second left, Coach Road, and follow it to the church.
- Follow the footpath through the churchyard and across the field corner to the footbridge and weir over the river Witham. Hougham Manor can be seen on your left. Go over the bridge, across the paddock, through the hedge, and over the bridge.
- Carry straight on, along the footpath, across the field towards Marston. This footpath linking the two villages is known as ‘The Beanholme’.
- At the junction with a road, Stonepit Lane, turn left and follow it into the village to a junction with Main Street. Opposite is the Thorold Arms.
- Turn right and walk down Main Street to Pinfold Lane. Turn left into Pinfold Lane and follow it to Barkston Road.
- Turn left into Barkston Road and follow it to the left hand corner where the road becomes School Lane. The entrance to Marston Hall is on this corner. Follow School Lane as far as the end of the Hall’s garden (the end of the stone wall).
- Turn right into a narrow footpath leading to the church. However, before doing this go a little further down School Lane to view the school itself, then return to the footpath. At the end of the footpath turn left and follow the village green to Bridge Street and turn right back to the village hall 0.25 miles (500m).
- Download map
Has no stiles and suitable for families with young children.
- Facilities available on this walk
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point