A walk between Marston & Hougham including a section on the Viking Way.
Five miles (eight kilometres)
- Starting point
Hougham and Marston Village Hall
Grid reference: SK 894 441
- Leave the village hall car park and turn right along the main road.
- After approximately 200m turn left to Hougham.
- In Hougham village take the second left, Coach Road, and follow it to the church.
- Follow the footpath through the churchyard and across the field corner to the footbridge and weir over the river Witham. Hougham Manor can be seen on your left. Go over the bridge, across the paddock, through the hedge, and over the bridge.
- Carry straight on, along the footpath, across the field towards Marston. This footpath linking the two villages is known as ‘The Beanholme’. On the other side of the bridge turn right along a footpath alongside the ditch. At the junction with a bridleway turn right and follow the field edge to the river. Follow the river bank for about 1.5 miles (2.5 kilometres) to where the river is
joined by the Foston Beck.
10. Turn left and follow the Foston Beck for about 0.75 miles (1.2 kilometres) to where it meets the Viking Way.
11. Turn left and follow the Viking Way towards Marston - along the field edge, then a track and concrete road and into Marston on Stonepit Lane.
12. At the Thorold Arms public house turn left and follow Bridge Street back to the village hall (about 0.25 miles, 500m), passing the church on your right.
- Download map
- Accessibility and suitability
Has no stiles and suitable for families with older children.
- Facilities available on this walk
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Points of interest
- Map of starting point
- Further Information