Ruskington is one of Lincolnshire's largest villages and is surrounded by attractive and varied countryside. This walk will take in Haverholme and the river Slea.
Mostly level walking it may be muddy and uneven in places. The busy A153 road is crossed twice.
Two miles (3.25 kilometres)
4.5 miles (7.25 kilometres)
- Starting point
All Saints’ church at the junction of Church Street and High Street North
Grid reference: TF 082 510
- Facing the church gate, turn left along Church Street to a crossroads and roundabout.
- Turn left along Station Road.
- After approximately 350 metres and after passing Chestnut Street, take the public footpath signed on the left. Pass the school and cross the blue railway footbridge. Walk straight on between the hedge and fence to a gate. Cross the field to the field corner and bridge.
- Cross the bridge, turn right and follow the path to a field. Walk alongside the hedge and enter the next field through a gap in the far hedge. Walk straight ahead across the field to a gate and track.
- Turn right along the track, to a junction with a restricted byway.
For the shorter walk:
Turn right along the lane and restricted byway. At the junction with the road turn right and follow it into Ruskington. Rejoin the directions at point 10.
For the longer walk:
- Turn left along a restricted byway to a main road (A153). Cross this busy road with care and walk straight on along the lane to Haverholme bridge.
- Cross the bridge and turn right, walk across the car park and follow the footpath ahead. At the lock and weir cross the two bridges and turn left to continue alongside the river but on the opposite bank.
- After approximately 0.5 miles (800 metres) and at a fence and sign turn right and then after approximately 40 metres turn right into a wooded area. Continue through the woodland and then walk straight across the field to a bridge.
- Cross the bridge and turn left along the field edge. Cross a second bridge in the field corner and follow the footpath diagonally right across the next field, heading for the light-coloured buildings in the distance, to the main road. Cross the busy road with care and follow the lane opposite into Ruskington.
- Turn right along Chestnut Street and at the T-junction turn left to return to the start.
- Download map
- Accessibility and suitability
- The walk uses pavements, roads, field paths and tracks.
- The busy A153 is crossed twice
- There are no stiles.
- You may encounter livestock
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Map of starting point