Ruskington is one of Lincolnshire's largest villages and is surrounded by attractive and varied countryside and these five circular walks explore the best of each. They are Hurn Pastures walk, Dorrington walk, Railway walk and River walk (short and longer version). Walk to a high point to see views of the Wolds on the Railway walk. Mostly level walking it may be muddy and uneven in places.
Two miles (3.25 kilometres)
4.5 miles (7.25 kilometres)
- Starting point
All Saints’ church at the junction of Church Street and High Street North
Grid reference: TF 082 510
- Facing the church gate, turn left along Church Street to a crossroads.
- Turn left along Station Road.
- After approximately 350m and after passing Chestnut Street, take the public footpath signed on the left. Pass the school and cross the blue railway footbridge. Walk straight on alongside the hedge and at the second field bear diagonally right to the field corner and bridge.
- Cross the bridge, turn right and the path opens out into a field, bear left and walk alongside the hedge and enter the next field through a gap in the far hedge. Bear slightly right across the next field to a track.
- Turn right along the track.
- At the end of the track, turn right for the shorter walk along the lane and restricted byway. At the junction with the road turn right and follow it into Ruskington. Rejoin the directions at 10. For the longer walk turn left at the end of the track along a restricted byway to a main road (A153). Cross this busy road with care and walk straight on along the lane to Haverholme bridge.
- Cross the bridge and turn right, walk across the car park and follow the footpath alongside the river. At the lock and weir cross the two bridges and turn left to continue alongside the river but on the opposite bank.
- After approximately 0.5 miles (800m) and at a fence and sign turn right and then almost immediately right into a wooded area. Continue through the woodland and then walk straight across the field to a bridge.
- Cross the bridge and turn left along the edge of the stream. Cross a second bridge and track and follow the footpath diagonally right across the next field, heading for the light-coloured buildings in the distance, to the main road. Cross the road with care and follow the lane opposite into Ruskington.
- Turn right along Chestnut Street and at the T-junction turn left to return to the start.
- Download map
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Map of starting point