A walk around the attractive market town of Spalding in the heart of The Fens. The walk circles Spalding and gives an insight into the history and life of the town as it takes in its urban, rural and horticultural faces. Level walking it may be muddy and uneven in places.
12.5 miles (20 kilometres)
- Starting point
Springfields Outlet Shopping and Festival Gardens
Camelgate (just off the A16)
Grid reference: TF 263 240
- Leave the west car park via the pedestrian gate to the water taxi boarding point. Climb the steps up onto the channel bank. Turn left and follow the Coronation Channel to the road. Cross the road and continue to walk along the banks of the Coronation Channel, built in 1953 to protect Spalding from floods.
- Continue along the Channel bank. Look out for Arnold’s Meadow Nature Reserve on the left just before the Channel bends to the right. To enter the reserve turn left at the bridge and follow the track. If you do visit the reserve please stay on the waymarked route and close any gates.
- Where the channel meets the River Welland, and you come to a junction with a road, turn left and follow the roadside path for approximately 160m to a bridge over the river. Cross the road and river. Turn left and walk to a crossroads.
- Continue straight ahead along Cradge Bank. After approximately 100m turn left along River Bank. Follow the public footpath behind the Yacht Club and along the river bank.
- After approximately 1.5 miles (two kilometres), and just before the A16 bridge, turn right down the bank. Cross the road and walk straight ahead along the bottom of the embankment. At the junction with a tarmac path turn right and follow the lane to a road junction.
- Turn left and cross South Drove Drain before turning right along West Road.
- At the traffic lights turn right then left to continue along the opposite drain bank.
- At the T- junction in Pode Hole, turn left to the Fishermans Arms, past Pode Hole Pumping Station. Turn right in front of the pub and follow the bridleway along the drain and then a short section of road. Turn right over the bridge and turn left to continue alongside the drain on the other bank. Cross the railway line with care and continue along the drain bank to a junction with a road.
- Cross this busy road with care and continue to walk along the footpath by the side of the drain. It is well worth taking a detour into Vernatt’s Local Nature Reserve. Continue along the drain bank and walk past the power station.
- At the road turn right and follow the road side path for approximately one mile (1.5 kilometres) to a roundabout and road bridges over the river.
- Turn left and cross the river. Cross the road and turn left along Holbeach Road.
- After passing Queens Road, and in front of the shops, cross the main road using the central island, and then continue walking in the same direction towards the church and Springfields. Cross the Coronation Channel and at the roundabout turn left to return to Springfields.
- Download map
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point