From the beautiful stone town of Stamford you will walk close to the river before returning alongside the dried bed of Stamford canal. This is a circular route. The route is shown in red on the drawing.
Five miles (8 kilometres)
- Starting point
Tourist Information Centre (TIC) and Arts Centre
St Mary’s Street
Grid reference TF 031 070
- Leave the TIC, cross the road and walk almost straight ahead along Maiden Lane. At the T-junction turn right along High Street and then St Paul’s Street and walk past Stamford School.
- At the traffic lights continue straight on. At the roundabout bear left. Walk past the Retail Park and at the traffic lights continue straight on.
- After approximately 160m and just before Rutland Road turn right along a track and public footpath.
- At the field turn left and after approximately 80m bear right across the field following the line of an area of uneven ground. After approximately 300m, bear right to a metal footbridge that will come into view.
- Cross the bridge and continue in the same direction to cross the field to reach a footpath sign that will come into view. Continue in the same direction to the corner of the field.
- At the road turn left. As the road bends to the left walk straight on along a public footpath.
- After 60m turn right along another footpath, keeping to the edge of the field. At the corner of the field turn left to continue to follow the field edge. At the next corner turn right over a small bridge and walk straight on. At the corner continue in the same direction across the middle of a field.
- At the hedge and track, turn right and follow the track for one mile (1.5 kilometres). The track will end in a field. Continue straight on along the field edge to a gate and then a road.
- To visit Uffington village turn left. To continue on the walk turn right and follow the roadside path for 150m to a public footpath on the left.
- Cross the busy road with care, and follow the public footpath along the edge of the field beside a fence.
- Cross the bridge over the dry bed of the Stamford Canal and continue to walk beside the fence to another bridge.
Now follow the directions in the River walk from point six.
6. Cross the bridge and continue straight ahead across the field to walk between the hedge and the river. Follow the path, keeping the hedge on the right, to a kissing gate. Follow the track straight on past Hudds Mill before bearing right to continue along the track and bridleway.
7. At the junction with a road turn left. At the roundabout bear left along Priory Road and past St Leonards Priory.
8. At the end of Priory Road carry straight on along St Leonards Street. As the road bends right, turn left along St Georges Street. Follow the road round to the right in front of St George’s Church to St Georges Square. Cross St Georges Square to return to the starting point.
- Download map
Suitable for families with children.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point