This walk takes you past a castle, alongside a river, past a nature reserve and through two woodlands. A great opportunity to spot both river and woodland wildlife. It uses field paths, river banks, roadside paths and woodland paths that are likely to be muddy.
Six miles (9.5 kilometres)
- Starting point
Grid reference: TF 212 579
- Leave the Market Place and turn right towards the church and castle.
- After approximately 140 metres turn left onto a public footpath and follow it straight ahead beside the remains of the Horncastle Canal to a bridge over the River Bain at Tatershall sluice.
- Cross the river and turn right. Follow the river bank for approximately 150 metres before turning left and following a footpath, between two fishing lakes, to a road in Coningsby.
- Turn left and at the roundabout continue ahead along Silver Street into the centre of Coningsby.
- At the junction with the High Street turn right. Cross the road at the pedestrian crossing and continue in the same direction.
- After approximately 800m turn left along a lane signed to Tattershall Thorpe.
- Cross the river and then turn left along the footpath beside the river. Walk under the old railway bridge and continue along the river to a junction with a footpath and pedestrian bridge over the river.
- Turn right. Cross a road and continue straight on along a footpath. Cross the old railway line and walk across a field heading to the left of the houses in the distance.
- At the road turn right and walk along the roadside pavement for approximately one kilometre (0.6 mile).
- Turn left into the entrance of Thorpe Camp Visitor Centre. Before entering the Centre turn left through the gap in the fence and then through a kissing gate into Tattershall Thorpe Carr (Woodland Trust). Follow the path to the right and through the woodland. Where the path forks, turn right over the bridge and follow the path around the edge of the woodland, crossing the ditch again at the other end of the wood.
- At a crossroads of paths (close to some brick structures) turn right through a gate to leave the woodland and follow the green lane towards another woodland, Tattershall Carr (Woodland Trust). Enter the woodland over the ditch and at a junction of paths turn left. Where the path forks take the left fork and follow the path through the woodland to a path junction where there is a brick structure on the left. Turn left, behind some houses, to a road.
- Cross the road and turn right. Follow the roadside pavement for approximately one kilometre (0.6 mile) to a T-junction.
- At the T- junction turn left.
- Cross the river and turn right onto a footpath that runs along the river bank and follow the path to the bridge over the river.
- Cross the bridge and continue straight ahead to the road. Turn right to return to the Market Place.
- Download map
The walk uses field paths, roadside paths, river banks, quiet lanes and woodland paths, which may be muddy in places.
You are likely to encounter stiles and livestock.
- Facilities available on this walk
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point