This walk takes you past a castle, and alongside a river. A great opportunity to spot river wildlife. It uses field paths, river banks and roadside paths that are likely to be muddy.
3.5 miles (5.5 kilometres)
- Starting point
Grid reference: TF 212 579
- Leave the Market Place and turn right towards the church and castle.
- After approximately 140 metres, turn left onto a public footpath and follow it straight ahead beside the remains of the Horncastle Canal to a bridge over the River Bain at Tattershall sluice.
- Cross the river and turn right. Follow the river bank for approximately 150m before turning left and following a footpath, between two fishing lakes, to a road in Coningsby.
- Turn left and at the roundabout continue ahead along Silver Street into the centre of Coningsby.
- At the junction with the High Street turn right. Cross the road at the pedestrian crossing and continue in the same direction.
- After approximately 800 metres (0.5 miles) turn left along a lane signed to Tattershall Thorpe.
- Cross the river and then turn left along the footpath beside the river. Walk under the old railway bridge and continue along the river to a junction with a footpath and pedestrian bridge over the river.
- Continue straight on along the riverside footpath to a road. Cross the road with care, cross the river, turn right onto a footpath and continue beside the river but on the opposite bank.
- Cross the river over the bridge at Tattershall sluice and follow the footpath straight on beside the old canal to the road. Turn right to return to the Market Place.
- Download map
- Accessibility and suitability
The walk uses field paths, roadside paths, river banks, quiet lanes and woodland paths, which may be muddy in places.
You are likely to encounter livestock.
- Facilities available on this walk
- village or town
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point