Enjoy a walk in the undulating countryside of the south Wolds taking in the pretty village of Old Bolingbroke and East Keal, Old Bolingbroke Castle and Keal Carr Nature reserve.
6.25 miles (10 kilometres)
- Starting point
The Coffee Cup Cafe
Grid reference TF 367 633
- Leave the cafe car park, turn left then left again along Church Lane. At the top of the lane bear left and cross the field heading towards the church. Walk along the top edge of the second field and enter the churchyard through the gate.
- Leave the churchyard through the main gate on the left and follow the lane straight ahead. At the end of the lane turn right and follow the tree-lined road for approximately 0.5 miles (800m) to a road junction.
- At the road junction follow the road left to Old Bolingbroke. In the village follow the road signed Mavis Enderby. At the T-junction turn right and then almost immediately left along Moat Lane to the entrance of Bolingbroke Castle. Carry on along the lane past the Black Horse Inn to a road junction.
- Turn right, past St Peter’s and St Paul’s church, and follow the road as it bends right and then left, signed to Spilsby.
- Approximately 50m after the entrance to Sow Dales Reserve and just before the village sign turn right onto the public footpath. Follow this path up hill and to the right of the large ash tree. Follow the path across the next field by bearing right to the hedge and tree, and then continue by walking along the other side of the hedge. Follow the path until it comes out into a field. Walk straight across the field to the right end of the hedge. Then follow the field edge with the hedge on your left. Continue along the edge of the next field. At the gap in the hedge on the left and corner of the fields bear right following the footpath sign. Follow the sign posted route from the end of the hedge by bearing left to a bridge. Bear left uphill across the next field to the edge of the woodland and a footpath sign. Continue in the same direction to cross the field to the road.
- Cross the road, turn right and almost immediately turn left to follow the public footpath across the field to a footpath sign on the horizon. At the sign turn right and follow the track, ignoring a footpath on the left. The path continues between two fields. Continue along the edge of the next field beside a hedge.
- Where the footpath meets a bridleway, in front of a barn, turn right along the bridleway. At the next path junction turn right along the footpath.
- Approximately 50m after the stream turn left onto another footpath and bear left to the corner of the field and the entrance into Keal Carr Nature Reserve. Enter the reserve and follow the footpath along a boardwalk and up some steps.
- Follow the footpath sign out of the reserve and walk along the fence line for 50m before turning left across the field heading towards the barns on the far side of the A16 road.
- At the A16 turn right and follow the roadside path. Take the public footpath on the right immediately after the road to Old Bolingbroke. Turn left in front of the house, to return to the A16. Turn right and follow the roadside path for approximately 0.75 miles (one kilometre).
- Take the public footpath on the right just after the turning to Old Bolingbroke and cross the field, go behind the farm buildings and through the yard to the lane. Turn left and, at the main road, right to return to the start.
- Download map
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point