Between Horncastle and Woodhall Spa the Viking Way follows the Spa Trail a surfaced multi-user route along an old railway line. From Woodhall Spa it goes through an area known as the Lincolnshire Limewoods before joining the Water Rail Way to reach Bardney.
- Starting point
- Leave the Market Square by turning left onto Manor House Street. After approx. 40m turn left to walk past the church and to a road (A158). Cross the road and river.
- Turn right and follow the river to the swimming pool. Walk past the pool to the canal, but don't cross it.
- Instead turn left and walk beside the canal for approx. one mile (1.6 kilometres) to a road.
- Turn right and after the lodge turn left onto the bridleway known as the Spa trail. Follow this surfaced trail for approx. 3.5 miles (5.5 kilometres) to a junction with a road.
- Turn right and after approx. 300m turn left onto a public footpath which goes across a golf course. Please follow the signs as you cross the course. Continue along the path as it becomes a stone track and then a tarmac road and enters a residential area.
- At a T-junction turn left through two gates and then straight on to the centre of Woodhall Spa.
- At the junction turn right and walk along Broadway and Station Road to a roundabout.
- Carry straight on, signed Martin, for approx. 0.5 miles (800 m).
- Turn right onto a public footpath immediately after Wentworth Way.
- At the end of the path, and at a road, turn right and almost immediately left to continue on a public footpath. Follow the path through a small wood and then turn right to walk around the field edge, across a bridge and then beside a wood to a track.
- Turn right and where the track bends left continue ahead through a gate. Bear right across the field and at the field edge turn left and follow the field edge.
- At the field corner turn right, past the cottage to a road. Turn left and follow the road with care for approx. 250m.
- Turn left and at the grass triangle, continue straight ahead along the 'No Through' Road. Follow the road for one mile (1.6 kilometre) to Stixwould Station House.
- Turn left into the car park area. Turn right and then right again to join the Water Rail Way towards Bardney and Lincoln.
Follow this surfaced multi-user route for 1.5 miles ( 2.4 kilometres) to Southrey platforms.
- Walk between the platforms then turn right through the gate and continue straight ahead along the road into Southrey village. Follow the road for 500metres.
- Turn left onto Highthorpe.
- After approx. 0.25 mile (450 metres) and in front of a farmhouse, turn left. Follow the track to the corner of Southrey Wood.
- Turn right and walk alongside the wood and then ahead along a track into Bardney.
- Download map
- Facilities available on this walk
- Refreshments: Woodhall Spa, Southrey and Bardney
- Points of interest
- Horncastle Canal was a broad canal which ran 11 miles from the River Witham to Horncastle.
- Woodhall Spa is a beautiful inland resort with Edwardian character, set amidst magnificent pine woods.
- The Lincolnshire Limewoods are Britain's largest concentration of traditionally managed small-leaved lime woodland dating back over 5,000 years.
- Bardney is a village and civil parish in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire.
- Water Rail Way - a mostly traffic free route between Lincoln and Boston.
- Map of starting point