The ancient city of Lincoln perches dramatically on a hilltop, with it’s impressively situated cathedral. A steep descent precedes the crossing of the River Witham.
3.5 miles (5.5 kilometres)
- Starting point
Railway steps leading in to industrial estate
- Turn left and follow Monks Road for approx. 0.8 miles (1.3 kilometres) to the Arboretum, on the right.
- Turn left into the Arboretum. Enjoy the area before leaving it by the diagonally opposite exit at the top of the hill. (If the Arboretum is closed continue along Monks Road and then right onto Arboretum Avenue. At the top of the road continue straight on up the steps to a road.)
- Turn left and then right onto Upper Lindum Street.
- At the junction use the pedestrian crossing and then turn left. Turn right on to Pottergate. At the mini-roundabout turn left along Minster Yard and walk past the cathedral to its west front. Walk through the archway, Exchequergate, into Castle Square.
- Turn left down Steep Hill and continue ahead, as it turns into The Strait and becomes High Street.
- Cross the railway line and continue along the High Street for approx. 0.75 miles (1.2 kilometres).
- Turn left along Spencer Street and where the road bends left turn right down a cobbled alleyway. Cross the bridge and walk straight ahead to the main road.
- Cross the road at the pedestrian crossing and continue straight ahead on the tarmac path between the playground and school.
- Walk through the gate onto South Common and then bear right to walk across the common to another road (Cross o Cliff Road).
- Download map
- Facilities available on this walk
- Refreshments: Cafes and pubs are plentiful, especially around Bailgate and Steep Hill, the main area for tourists and sightseers. In High Street there is a cafe on the medieval High Bridge and some major chain store restaurants.
- Points of interest
- Lincoln city with lots to offer
- Map of starting point