Field paths and ancient tracks form the route through South Kesteven villages. The River Witham is crossed again and you will walk under the east coast main railway line and over the A1 road and the final section is beside the Grantham Canal.
9.75 miles (15.5 kilometres)
- Starting point
- Follow Stonepit Lane straight ahead for approx. 1.3 miles (two kilometres) to its end at a junction with another bridleway.
- Turn left and after approx. 150m turn right over the bridge and continue straight ahead along the bridleway for approx. 450m to a junction with a restricted byway.
- Turn right to continue along the bridleway to a road.
- Turn right and follow the road for approx. 300m.
- Turn left onto a bridleway. At the end of the hedged section continue straight ahead for approx. 200m to a junction with a footpath and bear right to join the footpath towards Westborough village. Cross the River Witham and continue ahead past the church to a road junction.
- Turn right and take the first left, Bakers Lane. Follow the bridleway ahead along a hedge lined track as it bends left. Continue to the end of the track and a field edge.
- Turn right across the field. Follow the path along a field edge and across two fields, the second being dedicated Denver's Field (see below), to the river. Cross the river and follow the path to a road.
- Turn left and follow the road, as it bends right, for 0.5 miles (800m) to a roundabout.
- Turn right and then take the first left. (Alternative to take in Long Bennington village: At point 8. turn right and at the T-junction turn left to join the main village road. For shops, pubs and café turn right. To return to the Viking Way turn left and follow the roadside path for approx. 0.5 miles (800m) to where the road splits into two. Take the right hand fork signed Sewstern Lane, taking care crossing and walking beside the roads.) Cross the A1 and follow the road, with care, as it bends to the left.
- Take the second turn on the left, Sewstern Lane. Follow the tarmac lane to its end and then continue straight on through the farmyard and along a stone track, still Sewstern Lane. Continue straight on for approx. 2.5 miles (four kilometres) to a level crossing. Cross with care, adhering to on site instructions.
- Cross the busy A52 with extreme care. (To visit Allington village take the second footpath on the left after leaving the farmyard and follow it along the field edge and then between hedges to join a road. Turn left and follow the road into the centre of the village. To return to the Viking Way retrace your route along the same road (Bottesford Lane) but rather than turn onto the restricted byway, continue along the lane for approx 0.6 miles (one kilometre) to a junction with a stone track. Turn left and you are on the Viking Way.) Having crossed the A52 continue straight ahead along the lane and follow it as it bends to the left and enters a woodland. Follow the track for approx. another 0.6 miles (one kilometre) to a road.
- Cross the road and continue ahead along the track. After approx. 200m bear right to join the towpath beside the Grantham Canal. Keep on the towpath to the Rutland Arms pub beside the canal.
- Download map
- Facilities available on this walk
- Refreshments: Foston, Long Bennington, Allington, Woolsthorpe. (All except Woolsthorpe are off the Viking Way).
- Points of interest
- Map of starting point