Starting on the canal towpath the route than follows ancient drove roads to Sewstern. Much of the route runs along the boundary between Lincolnshire and Leicestershire.
ten miles (16 kilometres)
- Starting point
- Continue along the canal towpath for approx. 0.5miles (800m) to Longmoor Bridge (bridge 62).
- Leave the towpath here and turn right to cross the bridge and continue ahead along the bridleway for approx. one mile (1.6 kilometres) to a road.
- Cross the road and continue along the bridleway opposite. Continue along the bridleway for approx. one mile (1.6 kilometres) to the cottages.
- Continue straight ahead along the lane to a road.
- Cross the road with care and continue straight ahead through the woodland to a road (A607).
- Cross this busy road with care and continue ahead. As the lane bends to the left in front of the cottages continue straight on along the grass lane, known as The Drift.
- Cross the road and continue along The Drift to another road approx. one mile (1.6 kilometres).
- At the road walk straight ahead along the road for approx. 80m before leaving the road to continue straight ahead along The Drift.
- At the end of The Drift, approx. another mile (1.6 kilometres). Bear left along the footpath and taking care, walk across the end of the Buckminster Gliding Club runway (Saltby airfield).
- Follow the road past the building and turn left to walk past the Saltby Airfield Memorial. Continue along the concrete road past the gliding club building and then straight ahead as it becomes a grass track. Follow it for 0.75 miles (1.2 kilometres) to a road.
- Cross the road and continue along the grass track, still The Drift, for another 1.4 miles (2.2 kilometres) to a road junction next to a water tower.
- Continue straight ahead along the road to a crossroads.
- Continue straight on, signed Sewstern, taking care crossing the road. Follow the road into Sewstern village.
Link to Skillington village:
After crossing the end of the runway at Saltby airfield turn left just past the hanger and walk along the concrete area. At the end of the hanger bear left along the footpath which follows the field edge.
Follow the path around the field edges and as it becomes a track. After approx. one mile (1.6 kilometres) from the airfield turn left off the stone track onto a grass path. Follow the path as it bends left and then reaches a road.
Turn left and follow the road into Skillington village.
To rejoin the Viking Way: At the crossroads in the centre of the village turn right, continue straight on along Buckminster lane, which becomes a track and public footpath.
Follow the track for approx. one mile (1.6 kilometres) to a junction with another track. Then turn left.
- Download map
- Facilities available on this walk
- Refreshments: Skillington and Sewstern (Skillington is on the detour).
- Points of interest
- Saltby Airfield was built during the Second World War and now used as a gliding club.
- Map of starting point