A lovely walk taking in the pretty villages of Ropsley and Humby and the attractive undulating wooded landscape between. The walk uses part of a Roman road and cuts through a mature woodland.
Six miles (9.5 kilometres)
- Starting point
Ropsley Village Hall
Grid reference SK 993 346
- From the Village Hall turn left and then right along a public footpath after the last bungalow. Follow the track straight ahead to the fence. Turn left uphill for approximately 50m before turning right to a road.
- Turn left and at the top of the road take the public footpath in the right hand corner. At the field turn right and walk along the field edge to a junction with another footpath.
- Turn left and after approximately 300m, at a junction of paths, turn right and follow the track alongside the hedge. Continue along the track as it bends left. Follow the track as it turns right and then left to an area of trees and farm buildings.
- Turn right and at the next field corner turn left to continue to follow the track.
- At the junction with a restricted byway turn right and follow the track to a road. Follow the road straight ahead and at the junction bear left, signed Hanby.
- After approximately 400m turn right onto a public footpath. Cross the bridge over the East Glen River and continue straight on along the field edge. At the end of the second field bear left and walk between hedges to a road.
- Continue straight ahead along the road into Little Humby village.
- At The Green continue straight ahead along the road, cross the ford to join New England Road. Follow the road for approximately 900m to where it bends sharp right.
12. Turn left onto the track and then almost immediately right onto a footpath and follow the field edge towards the woodland, Kirton Wood.
13. Follow the path into the woodland and then almost immediately turn right over a bridge. Turn right and follow the field edge, with the drain and hedge on your right.
14. At a junction with another path continue ahead and over a bridge and turn right to continue along the field edge.
15. At the field corner turn right, walk around the pond and trees, and over a bridge and stile. Continue ahead along field edge to a road.
16. Turn right, walk past two public footpaths on your left before turning left onto a public footpath approximately 60m before a T-junction. Follow the path towards the church to a road.
17. At the road turn right and at the T-junction turn left and at the end of the village turn right onto Braceby Road and the Village Hall.
- Route map
- Suitable for families with older children.
- Facilities available on this walk
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point