A lovely walk taking in the pretty villages of Ropsley and Humby and the attractive undulating landscape between. The walk uses part of a Roman road and passes the remains of a medieval fishpond.
4.5 miles (seven kilometres)
- Starting point
Ropsley Village Hall
Grid reference SK 993 346
- From the Village Hall turn left and then right along a public footpath after the last bungalow. Follow the track straight ahead to the fence. Turn left uphill for approximately 50m before turning right to a road.
- Turn left and at the top of the road take the public footpath in the right hand corner. At the field turn right and walk along the field edge to a junction with another footpath.
- Turn left and after approximately 300m, at a junction of paths, turn right and follow the track alongside the hedge. Continue along the track as it bends left. Follow the track as it turns right and then left to an area of trees and farm buildings.
- Turn right and at the next field corner turn left to continue to follow the track.
- At the junction with a restricted byway turn right and follow the track to a road. Follow the road straight ahead and at the junction bear left, signed Hanby.
- After approximately 400m turn right onto a public footpath. Cross the bridge over the East Glen River and continue straight on along the field edge. At the end of the second field bear left and walk between hedges to a road.
- Continue straight ahead along the road into Little Humby village.
- At The Green bear right and cross The Green to the public footpath on the far side, known as Water Lane. After approximately 100m turn right, over a stile, to follow the path into a field. Turn left and follow the field edge to the corner and continue straight on along the edge of the next field to a bridge.
- Cross the bridge and turn left to a stile and bridge in the hedge. Bear diagonally right across the next field heading for the largest tree in the hedge. Cross the bridge and bear diagonally left across the field. As you reach the brow of the hill a gate in the next hedge will come into view. Bear right across the next two fields to a stile and waymarker at the field edge.
- Cross the stile and turn right alongside the pond. Cross a bridge and walk straight ahead across a drive to follow the path between a hedge and fence and then on between hedges to a driveway. Turn right to a road.
- Turn left and follow the road for approximately 700m through the village before turning right onto Braceby Road to return to the Village Hall.
- Download map
Suitable for families with older children.
- Facilities available on this walk
- Map of starting point