Use the bus to access this linear walk through some of the villages close to Lincoln. If you walk the whole route from Branston you will take in the villages of Branston, Heighington and Washingborough before the final stretch of the route follows the River Witham, along the Water Rail Way, back into the city.
Six miles (9.5 kilometres)
- Starting point
Junction of Station Road and High Street
Grid reference: TF 023 673
- Get off the bus on Station Road, close to the junction with the High Street. At the crossroads turn right and walk down the hill for 250m.
- Turn right onto Paddock Lane, a restricted byway. Follow the footpath straight ahead beside the stream for approximately 600m to the edge of the village. Continue straight ahead along the field edge.
- At the field corner and junction of footpaths turn left. Cross the bridge, turn right and follow the path beside the stream.
- At a junction of paths, in front of a house, continue straight ahead beside the stream. Cross the bridge and follow the footpath by the stream by bearing right. Follow the path to a road.
- Turn right and follow the roadside path and cycleway for approximately 150m. Cross the road with care and follow the footpath beside the stream towards the railway line. Climb the steps and cross the railway line with care. Follow the path beside the stream for approximately 150m ,through part of Heighington village.
- Turn left onto a public byway. At the junction with a tarmac path turn right and then after approximately 15m turn left and follow the path across a driveway and then beside and behind some houses. At a junction with a road turn right.
- At a T-junction turn left and follow the roadside path for approximately 175m. You can catch a bus here to return to Lincoln.
- Turn right onto a public footpath through an area of woodland, to a road and turn left. You can catch a bus here to return to Lincoln.
- At the T-junction turn right. Follow the roadside path for approximately 25m. Turn left onto a public footpath and follow it around the field edge to some steps and a road.
- Turn right and follow the roadside path for approximately 500m to the junction with Lincoln Road.
- Turn left and after approximately 150m turn right onto Ferry Lane. You can catch a bus here to return to Lincoln. Cross Sincil Drain to the Water Rail Way.
- Turn left and follow the Water Rail Way into Lincoln. Follow the Water Rail Way for approximately 1.75 miles (2.8 kilometres) to a viewing platform on the edge of a car park.
- Follow the tarmac path along the edge of the car park and next to the river. Walk in front of the buildings to join a tarmac path beside the river and along Waterside South. Walk past Stamp End lock.
- Cross the dual carriageway using the bridge and continue straight ahead to return to the city centre.
- Download map
The walk uses tracks, field paths, roadside paths and the Water Rail Way. The walk is level but may be uneven and muddy in places. There are no stiles on this walk.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point