A gentle walk from the small village of Foston. The whole area was once a shallow sea bed and if you keep your eyes open you may find Devil’s Toenails, a fossilised bi-valve!
Two miles (three kilometres)
- Starting point
St Peter’s Church
Grid reference: SK 858 429
- Stand with your back to the Church notice board, turn right then immediately left into Chapel Lane. Follow Chapel Lane, past the Scout Hut (Gorrie Hall) and Village Playing Field and continue as it turns from road into track. This section of walk, to the junction with the restricted byway, uses a permissive footpath by kind permission of Baggaley Farms.
- After approximately 550m past the Scout Hut turn left onto a restricted byway.
- Continue on the byway, crossing straight over a junction with a footpath. Follow it as it bends to the left and then the right and then carry straight on for about 250m (with fields on either side).
- Turn left onto the Viking Way at the signpost. Walk up to and through the first gate and onto the second gate which leads onto Fallow Lane.
- Turn left on Fallow Lane and walk back into Foston village, where Fallow Lane becomes Long Street. The Church will be found on your right after about 0.5 miles (800m).
- Download map
Has no stiles , Suitable for families with young children
- Facilities available on this walk
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point