Enjoy a walk from the market town of Sleaford into the surrounding countryside. The walk uses town and field paths and crosses farmland. For some distance the walk follows the banks of the river Slea. It may be muddy in places if wet. The busy A15 road is crossed twice. The walk starts from the centre of Sleaford which lies approximately 17 miles south east of Lincoln. The walk starts from the train station so why not travel to the start by train?
Four miles (6.5 kilometres)
- Starting point
Sleaford Railway Station
Grid reference: TF 067 454
- Leave the station and cross the road. Turn left and then right along a path between two fences and signed Town Centre and site of Sleaford castle. At the end of the path turn left, signed site of Sleaford castle.
- At the junction with a road turn right.
- Just after Electric Station Road turn left along the public footpath beside the river Slea. Follow the path beside the river, crossing over an old railway line, for approximately 0.75 miles (1.2 kilometres) to the junction with the A15.
- Follow the path to the right, cross the busy road with care, turn left and rejoin the path beside the river. Cross a footbridge and after approximately 250m, leave the river bank and bear right across the field to a gap in the hedge.
- Don’t go through the gap or gate but turn round to face the way you have just come and bear diagonally left across the field heading towards the small clump of trees in the distance. At the field corner cross the drain, turn left and cross another drain before turning right and following the field edge, keeping the drain on your right, to Drove Lodge. At the lodge turn right.
16. At the junction with a tarmac lane turn left. Cross the A15 with care and go through the gap directly opposite. Follow the lane for approximately 0.5 miles (850m) and cross the railway bridge.
17. Turn right onto a public footpath. Cross the estate road and continue straight ahead along the path to the river.
18. Turn left and follow the riverside path to a road.
19. Turn right and then left onto West Banks.
20. At the junction with South Gate turn right. Follow the road through the town.
21. Just before the large Memorial statue turn right along Nags Head Passage. At the end of the row of cottages turn left along the path to return to the station.
- Download map
Suitable for families with older children.
The busy A15 road is crossed twice.
There are no stiles or livestock.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point