Enjoy a walk from Wainfleet through the surrounding countryside crossing the Steeping River, the site of the medieval village of Wainfleet, walking along a medieval drove road before returning to Batemans Brewery Visitor Centre.
4.75 miles (7.5 kilometres)
- Starting point
Batemans Brewery Visitors Centre
Wainfleet All Saints
Grid reference: TF 494 586
- Leave the Visitor Centre car park and turn right.
- At the T-junction turn left and after approximately 100m, opposite All Saints’ church, turn left onto a public footpath. Follow the path beside the houses and then straight on between two ditches. Cross a bridge and continue ahead between two fields to another bridge. Cross the bridge and follow the field edge ahead to a road.
- Turn left and follow the road for approximately 75m before turning right onto a public footpath around the back of some houses to rejoin the road.
- Turn right and follow the road to the river. Cross the river over Crow’s Bridge. You are now in the parish of Wainfleet St Mary.
- Immediately after the bridge turn left and then right along Wainfleet Bank. Follow the road for approximately 0.75 miles (one kilometre).
- Turn left onto a public footpath heading towards St Mary’s church. Cross the bridge and continue ahead keeping the hedge on your left. After approximately 150m and at a large gap in the hedge, go through the gap and carry on in the same direction but with the hedge now on your right.
- Cross the bridge into the churchyard and walk straight ahead to join the church path to the road.
- Here you have a choice of routes, one along a quiet county road and the other along a public footpath.
Country lane route: Turn left along the road (Church Lane) and follow it for approximately one mile (1.5 kilometres) to a T-junction. Turn right and at the second T-junction turn left, signed Wainfleet. Rejoin the walk directions at point 10.
Footpath route: Cross the road and follow the public footpath opposite, along a track. Continue along the track as it passes a cottage and becomes a surfaced lane.
- At the road turn left and at the next road junction keep right towards the village.
- Follow the road for approximately 600m , past the windmill and St Michael’s Lane.
- Turn left onto a public footpath, opposite the playpark. Cross the small field and follow the path between two hedges, to the right of the house, and then straight on behind the houses to a road.
- Turn right and at the T-junction turn left to walk alongside the river.
- At the next T-junction turn left over Salem Bridge to return to Wainfleet All Saints. Take the first left, Mill Lane, to return to the starting point.
- Download map
Suitable for families with older children.
The walk uses pavements, field paths, roads and tracks. There are stiles and you may encounter livestock.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point