Enjoy a walk close to Horncastle town centre through a Woodland Trust woodland and beside the Horncastle canal. The route also uses a stretch of the Spa Trail. Great for wildlife watching!
2.5 miles (four kilometres)
1.25 miles (two kilometres)
- Starting point
Horncastle swimming pool
Grid reference: TF 255 693
- With your back to the swimming pool entrance turn right and then right again between the hedge and river, keeping the river on your left. Walk across the grassed area to a kissing gate in the corner. Continue straight on along the field edge.
- After approximately 50m turn left through a gate to enter Banovallum Carr. Follow the path to the right and then keep left to walk alongside the river. Follow this path for approximately 0.5 miles (800m) to the end of the wood.
- Turn right and walk along the edge of the wood.
- At the end of the wood turn right and follow the path to a gate and bridge.
- Cross the bridge and walk along the field edge, keeping the ditch on your right, to the canal bank.
- For the shorter walk turn right and follow the canal path back to the swimming pool. For the longer walk turn left and follow the path beside the canal to a road.
- At the road turn right, over the canal, and then right along the bridleway through the small car park to join the Spa Trail. Follow the Trail back to the edge of Horncastle, approximately one mile (1.6 kilometres).
- Turn right over the canal to return to the swimming pool and starting point.
- Download map
- Accessibility and suitability
Has no stiles and suitable for families with children.
- Facilities available on this walk
- linked to public transport
- Features of this walk
- historical interest
- wildlife interest
- Map of starting point