Provided by the Extended Communication and Language Impairment Provision for Students (ECLIPS) Team.
ECLIPS offers a range of specialist speech and language training. We support schools in meeting the needs of students with speech and language difficulties.
We offer the following support to named students;
- General awareness training: This session aims to help you understand SLCN better. It provides practical advice to support students in your setting.
- Developmental Language Disorder (DLD) and General Awareness training: "The most common disorder no-one has ever heard of." This session will help staff to understand DLD. The training is available for Primary Schools from May 2020. (Secondary Schools' training will be available soon.)
- Language for Thinking: Whole school training. This follows on from the General Awareness Training session above. The school must purchase a copy of the Language for Thinking book prior to the training session. This resource is clearly presented and photocopiable. It will assist in developing children's language from the concrete to the abstract.
- Using the Progression Tools: Whole school or small group training. The school must purchase a copy of the Progression Tools from The Communication Trust prior to the training session. A follow-up drop-in session is also offered after the training.
- An introduction to Colourful Semantics: This is a therapy approach created by Alison Bryan. It is simple and easy to use. It is used widely across the UK for targeting different language needs.
- Word Aware Teaching Vocabulary Strategies: Schools must purchase a copy of the book prior to the training session. This resource aids the development of vocabulary. It is suitable for children of all abilities. It is effective for:
- specific groups
- one to one support
- children speaking English as a foreign language.
We also offer a number of other courses. Some of these can lead to accredited CPD. They can provide staff with the knowledge and skills to deliver:
- evidence-based intervention programmes
- support for targeted groups within your setting
These courses are also available and include resources;
Word Aware – Teaching Vocabulary across the day, across the curriculum. This course teaches all staff within your setting:
- to teach vocabulary effectively to children of all abilities
- to use this tried and tested resource
The training is six hours long. It can be delivered either as one full day or three twilight sessions. A follow-up session is offered for when all staff have had a chance to use the training advice and materials. This allows them to ask any questions they may have.
Word Aware – Teaching Vocabulary in the early years. This course is the same as above for staff working in Early Years' settings.
ICAN Training Courses:
We are licensed tutors for the following courses. The prices below include all the materials required. Your setting will be able to deliver these support programmes year-on-year:
- Talk about Talk Secondary: A targeted and evidence-based intervention. It helps students aged 14 to 18 with poor language skills to be ready for the workplace.
- Talk Boost KS1: A targeted and evidence-based intervention. It is aimed at children aged 4 to 7 years old with delayed language skills.
- Talk Boost KS2: A targeted and evidence-based intervention. It is aimed at children in Years 3, 4 and 5 (7 to 10 years old) with delayed language development. It aims to boost their language skills to help them to catch up with their peers. The course trains teaching assistants to deliver small group sessions. These take place three times a week over a period of eight weeks.
All courses delivered by a licensed tutor. The prices below include all the materials required. Staff will receive a certificate of attendance for their CPD.
Level 1 training is the starting point for learning Makaton. It is recommended for:
- parents, family members, carers and workers who need to use Makaton at home and in their work
- participants who need a more detailed knowledge about using and applying Makaton to develop the communication skills of others
Level 2 training builds on the knowledge you gained in Level 1 training.
Please note level 1 and 2 training can be delivered as a concurrent package. This is equivalent to the training formerly known as Foundation Level.
Level 3 (Enhanced Level) training helps you to improve and develop your signing and symbol skills.
Please note level 1, 2 and 3 training can be delivered as a concurrent package.
ELKLAN Training – Jointly delivered with SALT
All ELKLAN courses are evidence informed. They teach strategies listed on the What Works database. The team members are all licensed tutors. Participants will receive accreditation.
For children and young people
- evidence-based interventions support children with SLCN to make good progress, thus narrowing the gap
- makaton is an internationally-recognised language development programme
- targeted interventions help to build an inclusive environment for all
For staff professional development
- offer accredited qualifications
- enhanced knowledge of communication difficulties. Courses offer practical and adaptable resources to aid communication in every classroom
The following are free to Lincolnshire settings. For all others schools the cost is £134
- General awareness training
- DLD and general awareness training
- Language for thinking
- Using the progression tools
- An introduction to colourful semantics
- Word aware teaching vocabulary strategies
Word Aware – Teaching Vocabulary across the day, across the curriculum. Total cost: £603
Word Aware – Teaching Vocabulary in the early years. Total cost: £603
ICAN Training Courses
- Talk about Talk secondary: total cost: £450
- Talk Boost KS1: total cost: £750
- Talk Boost KS2: total cost: £750
- Level 1 - total cost per person: £90 (six hours training in total)
- Level 2 - total cost per person: £90 (six hours training in total)
- Level 3 – enhanced level - total cost per person: £250 (three days training in total)
- Additionally Level 1, 2 and 3 training can be delivered as a concurrent package at a cost of £350
*These prices may be reduced if a child has Enhanced Plus or ECLIPS provision.
Please contact [email protected] for further details
ELKLAN training – jointly delivered with SALT
- ELKLAN for 3-5's - £350 per person
- ELKLAN for 5-11s - £350 per person
- ELKLAN for vulnerable students – £300 per person for school staff members *Reduced if a young person receives ECLIPS provision
- ELKLAN for 11-16s – £300 per person * Reduced if a young person receives ECLIPS provision
- ELKLAN for Post 16s £300 per person * Reduced if a young person receives ECLIPS provision
*Register your interest in one of these courses. Two of these courses will be offered annually and the venue and specific courses offered will be determined by the expressions of interest received.
Cluster working with schools
All courses can be delivered to a cluster. Charging and maximum numbers remain the same. There are no minimum numbers required. The lead school will be responsible for the booking and payment.
- Email [email protected]