We are usually responsible for roadside drains that drain the public highway.
We are not responsible for:
- public sewers
- private foul sewers
- roof water drains
- water mains
- water service pipes or internal pipework
Exceptional rainfall can lead to flooding even when drains are in good working order.
We perform the following annually to reduce the risk of highway flooding:
- clean all gullies and kerb drain
- inspect all manholes and clean if required
If the issue presents an immediate danger outside of our normal hours, call the police on 101.
What will happen next
- Reports are assessed and action taken in accordance with our Highways Infrastructure and Asset Management Plan.
- If there is an immediate danger then the matter will be dealt with as an emergency.
- On classified roads standing water over half the carriageway will be made as safe as possible within 24 hours.
- On classified roads standing water covering less than half the carriageway will be made as safe as possible within 28 days.