We cut grass verges alongside adopted roads and footpaths three times a year.
We cut grass:
- 1m to either side of the highway
- to the highway boundary at some junctions and bends to improve visibility
- as a one-off at specific sites to preserve botanical diversity
District, parish or town councils may carry out additional cuts.
We do not cut grass:
- on privately-owned land or developments not yet adopted by us
- on parks and open spaces, but your district or parish council may
To find out when our cuts take place, view our grass cutting programme.
If you report overgrown grass or hedges, we will only cut them if they pose a safety risk.
If the issue presents an immediate danger outside of our normal hours, call the police on 101.
What will happen next
- Reports are assessed and action taken in accordance with our Highways Infrastructure and Asset Management Plan.