We advise you not to buy goods or services from unexpected doorstep sellers, known as cold callers. These are often high-pressure sales people or rogue traders.
To report a cold-calling incident, you must contact the Citizens Advice consumer service.
It will then refer all relevant reports to our trading standards team.
If a cold caller is at your door, call 0808 2231133 for advice. If you feel unsafe, call 101.
Avoid being caught out by cold-callers
- keep your front and back doors secure at all times
- if someone comes to your door, observe this code:
- stop - are you expecting anybody? Do they have an appointment?
- chain - secure the door bar or chain before opening the door
- check - ask for and double-check the caller’s ID
- if they offer to do work on your property say “No, thanks” and shut the door
- do not keep large sums of money at home