Book a marriage or civil partnership ceremony

Legal requirements

As part of the legal formalities for civil ceremonies, you must each give notice of your intention to marry or form a civil partnership.

  • If you live in Lincolnshire, you can do this at one of our registration offices.
  • If you live outside of Lincolnshire, you must make an appointment with your local registration office.
  • You can give notice up to one year before your ceremony date (we recommend at least three months before).
  • Once you have given notice, there is a minimum waiting period of 28 consecutive days before the ceremony can take place (this can be longer, dependent on your circumstances).
  • If subject to immigration control, you must give at least 70 days.

For more information on giving notice, visit Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership.