Book a marriage or civil partnership ceremony

Civil ceremonies can be either a marriage or civil partnership and include readings, songs or music, but must not include anything religious.

You can have a civil ceremony at a registry office or any venue approved by the council, such as a stately home or hotel.

Marriage or civil partnership

Choosing if you would like a marriage or civil partnership will be your first consideration.

View similarities and differences between civil partnership and marriage.

Marriage ceremony

A marriage ceremony is for both opposite-sex and same-sex couples, and you must say certain vows when you solemnise your marriage.

If you choose to have a civil marriage ceremony, you can have it at either a licensed venue or a registry office.

Civil partnership

A civil partnership does not need to include a ceremony and is for both opposite-sex couples and same-sex couples.

A civil partnership is formed when the couple signs a civil partnership document in front of the registrar and two witnesses.

If you choose to have a civil partnership with a ceremony, you can have it at either a licensed venue or a registry office.

Religious ceremony

A religious wedding/marriage can take place at any registered religious building. You will need to contact the church to arrange the ceremony.

If you are interested in getting married in a church or religious building, please review the information on marriage in a church or other religious building.

You will not need a registrar at a religious ceremony unless your church asks you to contact us to arrange one.

Further information

Legal requirements

As part of the legal formalities for civil ceremonies, you must each give notice of your intention to marry or form a civil partnership.

  • If you live in Lincolnshire, you can do this at one of our registration offices.
  • If you live outside of Lincolnshire, you must make an appointment with your local registration office.
  • You can give notice up to one year before your ceremony date (we recommend at least three months before).
  • Once you have given notice, there is a minimum waiting period of 28 consecutive days before the ceremony can take place (this can be longer, dependent on your circumstances).
  • If subject to immigration control, you must give at least 70 days.

For more information on giving notice, visit Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership.

Book your ceremony and registrars

There are various options in Lincolnshire, with registration offices and over 90 licensed venues.

For more information, you can find out more about our registration office venues or choose from our licensed venues.

Before you book, please ensure you have reviewed the following information:

How to book

If your ceremony is at a licenced venue, you will need to contact the venue directly to confirm availability and then contact us to book your Registrars.

The venue sets fees for using the venue and must be paid directly to them. These are separate from the fees payable for the attendance of the Registrars.

If your ceremony is taking place at one of our Register Offices, booking the Registrars and venue will be done at the same time.

Booking requests can be made for dates up to four years in advance.

Start your booking

If you require a short notice ceremony (within the next three months), these are only possible in exceptional circumstances.