Give notice of marriage or civil partnership

Documents you will need to give notice

You must provide certain identification documents to the registrar at your notice appointment.

  • All documents must be original.
  • Photocopies are not acceptable.
  • The court must stamp any court-issued documents or, if sent via email, proof of the sender must be shown to the registrar.
  • All necessary documents will be confirmed when you book your appointment.
  • Provide the correct documents to avoid the cancellation of your appointment.
  • Depending on your circumstances, a statutory fee of £35 or £47 per person is payable at your appointment.

Evidence of name, age and nationality

British citizens 

  • A valid UK passport 
  • or the following, dependent on your date of birth.

Date of birth

Evidence required

Before 1 January 1983

A United Kingdom (UK) birth certificate and another document (e.g., valid photo card driving licence) to show use of your current name.

After 1 January 1983

A full UK birth certificate and your mother’s UK birth certificate. If your Natural Mother has changed her name to one not shown on her original UK Birth Certificate, you must bring evidence of her name change. (this may be a certified Change of Name Deed, Marriage Certificate or Civil Partnership Certificate).

After 1 July 2006

Full United Kingdom birth certificate showing parents’ details and evidence of either parents’ British citizenship or settled status at the time of the birth (e.g., either parents’ full United Kingdom birth certificate (if the relevant parent was born before 1 January 1983) or passport describing the relevant parent as a British Citizen or indicating that they then had indefinite leave to enter or remain).

Irish citizens

A valid Irish passport.

EU citizens with settled status (EUSS)

A valid EU passport and a EUSS check code. You can get a share code on the website. You must provide this code to the registrar at your notice appointment. View and prove your immigration status.

EU citizens without settled status and all other nationalities

You should bring your passport and evidence of your appropriate Visa for marriage/civil partnership or immigration status.

Evidence of your address

One of the following.

Evidence type


Council Tax bill

Dated within 12 months of your appointment

Utility bill

Dated within 3 months of your appointment

Please note a mobile phone bill or TV contract cannot be used as evidence

Bank or building society statement 

Dated within 1 month of your appointment

Valid UK driving licence 

This must show your correct home address.

You can be fined up to £1000 if you do not tell the DVLA when your address changes. Change the address on your driving licence.

Mortgage statement 

Dated within 12 months

Tenancy agreement 

Current agreement 

Letter from the homeowner or manager

If you don't have the usual proof of address, like bills, you can use a letter from the person who owns or manages the place where you live. This letter should include:

  • Your name and confirm your place of residence.

  • How long you’ve lived at that address (dates from and to).

  • The name and address of the owner or manager, and their signature and date. This should be done within one month of giving notice.

If you're staying with a tenant, the tenant can write a similar letter. It should also mention how long you've been living there. The tenant will need to show evidence of their residence, like a rental agreement.

Proof of marital status

If you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you must provide evidence of the legal ending of your previous marriage or civil partnership. This could be in the form of the following:

Evidence type


The original court-stamped Decree Absolute, Final Order or Dissolution Order issued by the County Court or High Court Family Division.

If your divorce or dissolution is in another language, you must provide the original court document and an English translation.

Consideration of foreign divorce documents may incur an additional fee.

An original death certificate of your late spouse or civil partner

If you are not named on the death certificate, you must also bring an original marriage or civil partnership certificate.


Evidence of change of name

If you use a different name than the one used on any of your supporting documents, you must provide further evidence to link all your names.

This may be in the form of a:

  • previous marriage or civil partnership certificate(s)
  • change of name deed(s)


If either you or your partner are foreign nationals and you are subject to immigration control, each of you may be required to provide a photograph that must be a UK passport style and size, which;

  • clearly shows the face of the party, which must:
    • have a neutral expression
    • not be wearing any head covering (other than for religious or medical reasons)
  • shows only the party and no other person or object
  • is unmarked, unaltered and without tears or creases
  • was taken recently and shows a current likeness of the individual