Report a death to the coroner

We appoint coroners to investigate sudden or unexplained deaths. They are independent of local and central government and follow set rules and procedures.

A death is usually reported to the coroner by a doctor or the registrations service. However, anyone who is concerned about a death can report it too.

A coroner will investigate when:

  • deaths are violent or unnatural
  • the cause of death is unknown
  • deaths occur in police custody or prison

Lincolnshire’s coroner

The senior coroner for Greater Lincolnshire is Mr Paul Smith, who has extensive experience of the role. He has been acting senior coroner for Lincolnshire since September 2020 and was also appointed acting senior coroner for North Lincolnshire and Grimsby in September 2021, before the areas merged to now form Greater Lincolnshire.

He was a partner with the firm of McKinnells Solicitors in Lincoln for over 25 years, and in 1994 he was awarded the Solicitors’ Higher Criminal Courts Advocacy Qualification. In 2008 he was appointed area coroner for West Lincolnshire and later became assistant coroner for Central Lincolnshire in April 2013.

You can find out more about the role of a coroner on the website

To get access to the referral system, email

We will then contact you to set up your account and provide user guidance.

Find out what happens when a death is reported to a coroner on

Contact the coroner's service

Telephone: 01522 552500

Search current and concluded inquests

Find an inquest