Fixed penalty notices - code of conduct

Appeal against the penalty notice

There is no right of appeal against a penalty notice. A parent can either:

  • accept and pay the fine or 
  • decline payment subject to them being aware that further action as set out below may be taken by the LA if the penalty notice remains unpaid

The LA has the discretion to withdraw the notice if the LA is satisfied that:

  • the fixed penalty notice has been sent to the wrong person
  • it contains a material error (in these circumstances a fresh amended penalty notice could still be issued)
  • if for any other reason the LA are of the opinion that it should not have been issued