Governing bodies need to be adequately supported by clerks to carry out their functions. Business support offer a cost effective and high quality service. This allows the school leadership team to focus on its core aims.
This service includes:
- providing professional advice and support to governing bodies on governance and procedural matters
- providing effective administrative support to the governing body and its committees, including:
- convening meetings
- minute taking
- distribution of meeting notes and supporting documents
- ensuring the governing body is properly constituted and supported in tackling identified issues
- managing all governing body information effectively in accordance with legal requirements
- providing support to the governing body in order to meet all of its statutory duties
As part of this service provision schools are able to access the Governor Hub system, which is specifically designed for this purpose.
The team consists of well supported and trained clerks who work effectively and cohesively and are managed centrally. This removes additional management requirements and pressures from the school itself. In addition, we provide schools and their Governing Bodies with strong resilience in the event of clerk unavailability.
Your clerk will:
- liaise with headteacher and chair of governors to draft meeting agendas
- circulate finalised agendas and related documents to all parties nine or 16 days in advance of the meetings, dependent on the school's status
- take accurate minutes at all full governing body and committee meetings as detailed on page nine and circulate within 14 days of the meeting taking place. Meetings may be supported virtually or in person, in agreement between both parties
- provide one hard copy set of paperwork for each meeting for signature and school file
- keep records of attendance and declarations of interest
- keep up to date with all relevant policies and procedures in order to offer advice and guidance to the board when needed
- undertake all actions for the clerk, arising from the meeting
- attend regular training and networking sessions
- act as first point of contact for governors with queries on procedural matters
- attend the NCTL, accredited clerks development programme as part of their continuing CPD
- keep governor services up to date with governing board details, minutes of the finance committee and FGB, appointments of new governors
Due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19, employees with the clerking service are now working from home. Any meeting support required will therefore be virtual until further notice.
Contributes to the outcomes for children and young people by:
- ensuring effective governance of the school setting
- ensuring a strong focus on the key outcomes of the school are at the heart of decision-making
- reducing additional management pressures on the school leadership by maintaining responsibility for the management of clerks, enabling a greater focus on the management of day-to-day school matters.
Benefits for staff professional development:
- reduces management requirements such as recruitment and absence management. This facilitates greater focus on development in other areas
Trust board meetings - £253.55 per meeting
Full governors meetings - £253.55 per meeting
Committee meetings - £197.86 per meeting