You must act quickly if there is a fire. Have an escape plan so everyone in the family knows what to do.
Talk through it and have a practice run. Make sure your children know what the smoke alarm sounds like.
To create an escape plan:
- choose a normal route you would use to leave the house and have a backup
- close doors before going to bed. This can hold back fires for up to 15 minutes
- keep escape routes clear
- keep a key near your nearest exit route door
If you ever need to evacuate, you should:
- alert everyone by shouting ‘FIRE, FIRE, FIRE’
- not delay by looking for valuables or pets
- check closed doors with the back of your hand. If warm, do not open them
- stay close to the floor as the air will be cleaner
- get out, stay out and call 999
If the door of the room you are in is too hot to open:
- block the bottom of the door with a blanket/pillow or duvet
- open a window
- stay near the window and shout 'FIRE, FIRE, FIRE'