Electricity can kill or injure people and cause damage to property.
There are steps you can take to reduce the risk of electrical accidents in your home.
For cables and plugs:
- do not overload sockets with too many appliances
- keep an eye out for fraying power leads
- switch off and unplug appliances when not in use, unless designed to stay on
- never charge or place electrical equipment under pillows or blankets
To avoid house fires due to electrical appliances:
- register your appliances
- make sure your electrical appliances are not near water
- service them once a year
- do not leave washing machines, tumble dryers or dishwashers on when you are out or asleep
- beware of fake products as they may not meet safety requirements
For more electrical home safety advice, visit the Electrical Safety First website.