More people die in fires caused by smoking than any other causes.
If you do smoke in your home:
- do not smoke if you are tired or in bed
- do not leave cigarettes alight
- double check your cigarette is stubbed out
- use a proper ash tray which has water in
- do not leave matches or lighters within reach of children
- make sure you have working smoke alarms and test them regularly
E-cigarettes have become a popular alternative to smoking. This is also known as vaping.
To reduce your risk of fire or accidents:
- only use the charger supplied with your vaping kit
- read the instructions and warnings provided by the manufacturer
- do not over-tighten the screwed connection to the battery
- do not leave your e-cigarette on charge overnight or unattended
- only buy chargers with the CE mark
For advice on how to give up smoking or vaping, visit the One You website.