Before you apply
For information on this service during the current COVID-19 pandemic please read Information for parents and carers before continuing.
All post-16 students must pay towards the cost of transport to sixth form or college.
For the academic year 2020/21, this is:
- a one-off payment of £570
- or, three termly instalments of £193 (a total of £579)
- or, six instalments of £96.50 (a total of £579)
To qualify, students must be under the age of 19 on 1 September prior to the start of the course. They must also:
- attend a sixth form or college within the designated transport area (DTA) for their home address
- attend a sixth form or college nearer to their home address than the DTA sixth form or college
- and, live more than three miles away
If you need to confirm a school's designated transport area, email [email protected]
Transport will not be provided:
- to satellite sites of schools or colleges
- until the financial contribution has been made
Transport is only provided at each end of the day to and from your child’s main home address.
For more advice, read the post 16 education transport policy.
How to apply
We urge parents, carers and students to apply and pay for sixth form or college transport by 31 July.
An offer of a sixth form or college place is not an application for transport.
If you move house, you will need to reapply.
We aim to process applications for September 2021 within 20 working days, however, some may take longer. If you do not hear from us before the end of June, please get in touch.
Decisions and appeals
If you applied online, you will get an email to confirm your application straight away. You will then get a response email within five working days.
If you applied by post, we will send a response letter within five working days of receipt.
It may take us up to 10 working days to reply during the busy summer period.
If you do not receive a response, call 01522 782020.
You can appeal a post 16 transport decision if:
- the decision to refuse transport is wrong according to our policy or the law
- there are personal circumstances that have not been taken into account
Our response email or letter will include full details of the appeals process.
Make a payment
You can pay for post 16 transport or a replacement bus pass online:
Do not send payment until we have confirmed you can get school transport.