Before you apply
If a child has yet to be granted free transport, parents or carers are still required to get them to school or college.
There are several local bus routes (opens in a new tab) which operate throughout Lincolnshire.
There are limited spare seats on dedicated school or college contracts that non-eligible pupils and students can use.
These seats will only be considered if:
- there are no fare-paying bus or train services available in the area*
- there is no extra cost to the county council to accommodate the additional student
*Service buses only sometimes drop off outside a school. However, if one is in operation within a suitable distance to the school or college, then concessionary will not be considered.
The fee for the academic year 2022/23 is as follows:
- a one-off payment of £570
- or three termly instalments of £193 (a total of £579)
The fee will be calculated pro-rata from the dates the seat is approved.
Applications for concessionary will need to be made each academic year.
A concessionary seat will be withdrawn if:
- the number of children granted transport increases, and the seat is required for eligible students
- a fare-paying bus service becomes available
- a review of school transport reduces the availability of spare seats
- unacceptable behaviour of the child is proven
If the council withdraws a seat, a refund will be issued, calculated on a pro-rata basis.
For more advice, read the schools and college transport policy.
Changing address, school or college during the academic year
If you change address, school, or college, you must reapply for concessionary school transport, and the eligibility criteria will be reassessed.
Cancellation of transport
To cancel your transport, please send your details to TSG@lincolnshire.gov.uk.
Contact the school transport team
Telephone: 01522 782020
How to apply
If your child is not eligible for free school transport, you must ensure they can get to school safely.
Before applying, please ensure that you have explored all options and that no alternative fare-paying services are available.
Apply for concessionary school transport
You must reapply:
- at the start of each academic year
- if your child moves address
- if your child moves school
What happens next:
Once you have applied online, you will get an email confirming we received your application. Applications for the new academic year are likely to be granted in the October half term to allow all eligible students to be planned onto the provision. Parents will be responsible for getting their children to and from school during this time.
If your application is approved, we will send you details and, where appropriate, a bus pass as soon as possible.
You will need to reapply for transport each academic year.
If there are more applications than places, we use a priority system:
- Pupils living in Lincolnshire
- Pupils who require transport at both the beginning and end of all school or college days
- Pupils attending their designated transport area school or college
- Pupils who are partway through an exam course
- Pupils living farthest from their designated transport area, school or college
- Youngest child