Before you apply
For information on this service during the current COVID-19 pandemic please read Information for parents and carers before continuing.
All post-16 students must pay towards the cost of transport to sixth form or college. The current cost is:
- a one-off payment of £570
- or, three termly instalments of £193 (a total of £579)
- or, six instalments of £96.50 (a total of £579)
To qualify, students must be under the age of 19 on 1 September prior to the start of the course. They must also:
- attend a sixth form or college within the designated transport area (DTA) for their home address
- attend a sixth form or college nearer to their home address than the DTA sixth form or college
- and, live more than three miles away
If you need to confirm a school's designated transport area, email [email protected]
Transport will not be provided:
- to satellite sites of schools or colleges
- until the financial contribution has been made
Transport is only provided at each end of the day to and from your child’s main home address.
For more advice, read the post 16 education transport policy.
How to apply
An offer of a sixth form or college place is not an application for transport.
If you move house, you will need to reapply.
We aim to process school transport applications within 20 working days; however, some may take longer.
If your application for school transport was not submitted before the week commencing 16 August then you have missed the deadline and you should make other arrangements for your child to travel to school from the start of term.
Your application will still be processed as quickly as possible and we will contact you to confirm transport arrangements as soon as possible.
If your child has a transport entitlement but you have not received details for their transport yet please bear with us. School transport is taking longer than normal to arrange.
Details and a bus pass, where appropriate, will be sent as soon as possible. If you are worried that your application has exceeded 20 days then you can email [email protected] to check its status.
Decisions and appeals
If you applied online, you will get an email to confirm your application straight away. You will then get a response email within five working days.
If you applied by post, we will send a response letter within five working days of receipt.
It may take us up to 10 working days to reply during the busy summer period.
If you do not receive a response, call 01522 782020.
You can appeal a post 16 transport decision if:
- the decision to refuse transport is wrong according to our policy or the law
- there are personal circumstances that have not been taken into account
Our response email or letter will include full details of the appeals process.
Make a payment
You can pay for post 16 transport online:
Do not send payment until we have confirmed you can get school transport.