What is Liaise?

Liaise is Lincolnshire's Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS).

We provide confidential and impartial information, advice and support to children and young people (0-25 years) with SEN and disabilities, and their parents and carers.

Our staff:

  • work at arm's length from the local authority and health services
  • are trained in SEN and disability law
  • work to national standards, so you know what to expect

We aim to empower families to have the SEND knowledge and understanding they need.

Families, young people can now refer in to our service in two ways, either call 0800 195 1635 or  fill in this form.

If you are a professional please use the form, ensuring you have parental consent to do so.

How we can support you

If you are a parent, carer or young person, we can give advice by email or phone to:

  • talk you through any concerns and answer questions
  • help you to understand SEND law, policies and procedures, including EHC process and annual reviews
  • help you to understand how to make a complaint
  • explain what your options are
  • provide you with resources and support packs
  • signpost you to other relevant sources of help
  • explain your options when you turn 16 or 19

If we speak with you on the phone, we will always follow this up with an email so you have all the information you need.

In some situations, we can allocate a Liaise caseworker to provide further support, which is agreed with the family and detailed in a signed support agreement.

We also provide training and workshops to local education, health and social care professionals, children, young people and parents to increase knowledge of SEND law, guidance and local policy.

If you are a parent, carer, child or young person you can call Liaise on 0800 195 1635 or fill in the contact form

If you are professional wanting to request information for a young person, please complete this form, making sure you have their consent before doing so

Some useful groups you can contact for help



If you have any comments or complaints about the Liaise service, please use the county council's comments and feedback page

SEND support

SEND support refers to the actions that a mainstream setting should take to identify and support children and young people with SEND.

There are four broad areas of need:

  • communication and interaction
  • cognition and learning
  • social, emotional and mental health
  • sensory or physical needs

The setting should use a graduated approach following a cycle of assess, plan, do and review.

All maintained schools must publish a document on their website called a SEND information report which will explain how they deliver SEND Support in their setting.

Please contact if you have any questions or queries regarding SEND support.  We can:

  • explain SEND support to you in more detail
  • talk you through the settings responsibilities and what you can expect for your child
  • explain how the Valuing SEND assessment tool is used in Lincolnshire to meet your child’s needs
  • help you to prepare for SEND support meetings
  • explain how the setting can bring in the help of specialists at any time to advise on assessing SEND and the appropriate support

EHC needs assessments and plans

As a parent, carer or young person, you may consider a request for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment. Your school or educational setting may discuss this with you.

It is a detailed look at the special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) of a child or young person. It helps to find out what support they may need to help them learn.

To find out more about the process, read the identifying and supporting SEND pages on the Local Offer.  If you would like more help with this, please contact us.

If you need more advice with annual reviews, read the annual review section of the Local Offer.  Please get in touch if you need more information.

Help with exclusions from school

Schools may exclude pupils due to breaches of their behaviour policies.

We can offer advice and support if your child has been:

  • put at risk of exclusion
  • given a fixed-term exclusion
  • permanently excluded
  • illegally excluded
  • given a reduced timetable

You can find the school's behaviour policy on its website or you can request it from the school.

To find out more about exclusions, read the school exclusions pages on the Local Offer.

SEND mediation and tribunals

Mediation is a step that you must consider in most appeal cases. It is a positive way of settling the dispute between you and the local authority.

It involves a meeting between you and the local authority with an independent mediator. The mediator will help you reach an agreement on the points of dispute. It is free of charge. 

Most issues will be resolved with mediation, however, if you disagree with a decision the authority make, you can appeal to the SEND Tribunal.

To find out more about mediation and tribunals, read our identifying and supporting SEND pages.

How Liaise can support you

We can provide resource packs to support families through mediation and tribunal processes.

You can also arrange a telephone appointment with a Liaise caseworker to discuss your appeal. 

If you are allocated a caseworker, they will guide you through the process. They can also attend the mediation or tribunal hearing with you as your helper. 

Further support and legal help

Support for young people

Did you know that if you are a child or young person up to the age of 25, you can contact us yourself for advice and support about your special educational needs and disabilities.  

We can help you with things like:

  • your post 16 options
  • supporting you at a meeting
  • talk to you about SEND and disability support in your school or college
  • your education, health and care plan
  • your annual review

Our referral process has been simplified to provide a faster and easier way to contact us.

Families, young people and professionals can now refer in to our service in two ways, either call 0800 195 1635 or fill in this form. If you are a professional, please use the form only

This allows us to ensure we have all the necessary details so we can respond with information and advice as efficiently as possible.