The county council provides around 68,000 street lights which primarily light the public highway, although there is no statutory duty for us to do so.
We are not responsible for:
- Around 14,500 street lights are owned by district, town and parish councils
- Lights within the grounds of schools and health authorities
- Privately-owned outdoor lights
County council-owned lights have a black number with a yellow background on them. These are routinely inspected for faults but we rely on the public to report issues too.
*Please read about the street light transformation project before submitting a report.
After reporting a fault to us, we will:
- Fix emergency faults where street lights are in a dangerous condition
- Add non-emergency issues to the LED conversion and part-night lighting rollouts
- Review issues where lights meet public safety criteria to stay on all night
If you are unable to report a fault online, call 01522 782070 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday).
Outside office hours, if your fault presents an immediate danger, call police on 101.