Paying for care

Self-funding your care

A self-funder is someone who is paying for the full cost of their care and support. 

This is most common where you have savings or investments adding up to over £23,250. This figure is set every year by the Government.

If you don’t provide the information we need to complete a financial assessment, or if we have assessed you as not having eligible care needs under the Care Act, you will also have to pay the full cost of care.  

If you are a self-funder, you are entitled to a free assessment of your care needs. After this, the council can manage your care for you for a one-off arrangement fee.  You may choose to enter into private arrangements with care providers to arrange your care. Additionally, you may also be able to apply for a deferred payment loan to finance your care. 

You can also secure the services of an independent social worker or broker for example, to manage your care packages.  

While paying for your care, the amount of your savings and investments will reduce. You should let us know when this amount gets close to the capital limit (£23,250).

Independent advice

Paying for care can be complex, particularly if you are funding your own care. The council can't provide individual financial advice directly, but we do recommend that you consider seeking independent financial advice as early as possible. We will assist you to understand how to access independent financial advice. We recommend that you check that any financial advisor you choose to use is registered with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

You may also wish to take legal advice from a solicitor to assist you with any proposed arrangements. Should you wish to do so, the Law Society’s Find a Solicitor service might be helpful.