Works on the existing highway

Section 278 agreement

To carry out highway works to comply with planning permission, you must enter into an agreement with us.

For highway improvements where the Minor Works Permit or Unilateral Agreement is not appropriate, we require a Section 278 agreement.

You must employ a designer and contractor, as well as provide a bond. We will initially send you a Section 278 Agreement for Works letter.

Approval process

  1. Contact us by emailing or call 01522 78270 to request the permit. We will then assess your request.
  2. If approved, we will post your permit to you.
  3. Work can only begin when you have received your permit.

Refused applications

If we cannot resolve any issues, we will refuse your application. We will return your paperwork.

All Section 278 works in Lincolnshire must be designed and constructed using the following:

In addition Commuted Sums for Maintenance will need to be calculated using the following:

All submissions should adhere to the Section 278 drawing validation checklist.