Request a safe and well check
A safe and well check is a free assessment of the fire risks within your home.
After you submit your request, we will assess whether you are eligible for a home visit.
If you are not eligible, we will send you a home fire safety information booklet.
If you are, we will contact you to arrange a time and date. This can take up to a month, depending on the level of risk.
A firefighter or community fire safety advocate will carry out the check. They will give you advice on how to reduce your risk of fire. They may offer further advice on how to improve your health and wellbeing.
- if you live in rented accommodation contact your landlord to get a smoke alarm
- if you live in a council owned property contact the council to arrange a smoke alarm
- if you are able to buy and fit a smoke alarm you need to make sure the smoke alarm has this symbol:
if necessary we will fit smoke alarms, this will be discussed if a visit is needed.
There are two types of referral:
- Request a safe and well check – for family members and occupiers. Alternatively you can complete a self assessment
- Professional referral for a safe and well check – for organisations from a fire safety point of view.
You may not need a home visit.
Please complete the self assessment below. We will contact you should there be any fire safety concerns.
- visit hoarding uk to find out how to help someone you suspect may be suffering from hoarding
- download our hoarding resources if you require further support for someone who may be a hoarder, or request a safe and well check
Online fire safety check
This online Home Fire Safety Check will make sure that you are doing all you can to keep your home free from fire risks.
The check takes you through your home one room at a time helping you spot potential fire risks, offering tips and advice on the steps you can take to reduce those risks.
Once you have completed your check, you will receive a personalised fire safety action plan to help keep you and your household safe from fire.