Rights of way

Public rights of way

We are responsible for the mapping, management and enforcement of public rights of way and work with farmers and other landowners to ensure access is not affected.

Rights of way are classified according to the nature of their use:

  • Footpath - foot only
  • Bridleway - foot, cycle or horseback
  • Restricted Byway - foot, cycle, horseback or carriage
  • Byway Open to All Traffic (BOAT) - foot, cycle, horseback or motor vehicle

A 'permissive path' is where the landowner allows the public access but may close the path occasionally.

Public rights of way are recorded on Definitive Maps. The original copies of these maps can be viewed by appointment at County Offices and remain the legal document for Public Rights of Way in Lincolnshire.

The Electronic Working Copy map shows public rights of way as they are recorded today following any additions, diversions or extinguishments. This should not be considered to be the legal document.

Rights of way can only be closed with our permission. The Temporary Closures register records planned closures where a right of way will be affected by works.

Livestock can be kept in fields crossed by rights of way. The exception is bulls on their own if over 10 months old. Beef bulls are allowed if kept with cows, however, dairy breed bulls are not.

Farmers, landowners, and the county council work together to maintain and manage rights of way.

Whilst in the countryside please act responsibly and follow the Countryside Code.

Electronic working copy definitive map

For licensing reasons we are no longer able to provide information on public rights of way, permissive paths and other areas of countryside access in the way we used to.

The electronic working copy is a representation of the original Definitive Map with all subsequent alterations taken into account.

It should be noted that this map is NOT the Definitive Map (legal record) and, that whilst every effort to attain accuracy in translation from the original paper mapping has been made, no liability is accepted for any errors particularly when viewed at scales greater than the original mapping.

We apply a working presumption that routes on the list of streets have public vehicular rights.  Legislation has extinguished the rights of motorists if these are also shown as a:

  • public footpath
  • public bridleway
  • restricted byway

You can zoom to a location on the map, or search for an address however rights of way on the electronic working copy map will only be displayed between 1:2,500 and 1:250,000.

Individual path numbers can be found by selecting the individual right of way using your left mouse button.

Access the map

Report a problem

If you find a problem with using an existing public right of way then let us know.

Report a problem

Request a change

Definitive Map Modification Orders

Definitive Map Modification Orders (DMMO) are made to record public rights of way which are not shown on the Definitive Map. They can also delete any route proved not to exist.

Each application is processed on a ‘date received’ basis unless there are extenuating circumstances.

The DMMO priorities list shows current applications in order of their priority.

Search the DMMO Register

Public Path Orders

Public Path Orders are for a diversion, closure, or a new path.

Administrative costs are chargeable. These charges may be waived if the proposal offers substantial benefit.

No charge is made for considering whether an application can be accepted.

For further information on creating a right of way email countryside_access@lincolnshire.gov.uk or call 01522 782070.

Request land protection

A landowner can apply for a:

  • Highways statement or declaration to protect their land against public rights of way being established by public use.
  • Landowner statement to end any use of their land by local inhabitants for lawful sports and pastimes.   This may then protect against it being registered as a town or village green.

We charge a fee for the registration of an application.  For the fee to be calculated, please email a map to countryside_access@lincolnshire.gov.uk.  On the map:

  • show the extent of the land that will be subject to an application
  • specify the type of statement or declaration you will be making

For further information, email countryside_access@lincolnshire.gov.uk or call 01522 782070.

Apply for protection

Search the register of landowner deposits

View notices of applications recently lodged with the county council.

Temporary closures

Rights of way can only be closed with permission from the County Council. Closures are usually only for short periods of time in the interest of public safety when works are taking place in the proximity.

Temporary Closures of Rights of Way