Apply for a school

Out of cohort admissions

You may request that your child is moved to a year group outside their normal age group if:

  • your child is gifted and talented.
  • your child has experienced problems, such as ill health.
  • your child is currently educated in a different year group than their chronological age.
  • your child is summer born and you intend to start school when they are statutory school age.

This is called an out of cohort admission.

The school admission authority decides which year group a child should be admitted to. Their decision is based on the individual circumstances of the case and the best interests of the child.

Make an out of cohort admissions enquiry