Proposed post 16 education transport policy statement

Transport and travel support

Entitlement to transport and travel support from the County Council

Our policy is to offer transport support to young learners to:

  • their nearest or DTA sixth form or college, or
  • other licensed provider

This is subject to them living more than three miles from the sixth form or college.

If the young person meets these criteria we will offer transport support to sixth form learners subject to an annual contribution of £570 (or £579 if paid in instalments).  This can be paid as follows:

  • a full payment of £570
  • in three instalments of £193
  • in six instalments of £96.50

Subject to the contribution being paid, we will provide transport support.  This is usually in the form of a bus or train pass. 

We will consider any application made.  We recommend that anyone who thinks they might be entitled to transport support apply from March onwards. If the application and payment is not made by 31 July there is no guarantee that transport will be in place for the beginning of the new academic year in September.  

You can apply for transport on our website. This is the quickest and fastest way to apply. Alternatively you can ring 01522 782020 for help to make an application.

We will respond to your application by writing to the applicant's e-mail or postal address confirming entitlement to transport support. We will enclose details of when and how to pay the learner contribution where necessary. After an arrangement to pay the contribution has been made, where this is necessary, we will send out travel details and pass. If we refuse transport support  we will give you an opportunity to appeal against the decision where an applicant:

  • feels that we  have not followed our own policy or the law or 
  • believes there are exceptional circumstances that Officers need to be aware of

We provide details of the appeals process at the time of the refusal. 

The transport provision is one outward journey and one return journey. These are timed for the start and finish of the school or college day. Transport is provided to the main school or college sites only in most cases.  Transport is not normally provided to satellite sites as an entitlement. We will only support transport to a satellite site:

  • if this site is closer than the main campus
  • where an entitlement has been determined
  • the satellite site is over three miles from the home address

Transport provision made is appropriate to the location and timings of the school or college day. It may be necessary for a student to make his or her own way to and from a transport pick-up point up to three miles, if they are able to do so.

Learners with learning difficulties and, or, disabilities may require transport support beyond the age of 18 because their further education requires attendance beyond that age. 

Specialist courses

We do not offer transport support to a school or college that is not:

  • the nearest or designated one for the students address 
  • the nearest that is able to meet a young person's special educational needs as defined within their Education Health and Care Plan

Additionally, we do not take account of preferred courses or specialist courses which are not available at the nearest or designated college or school.

However, there is limited transport support available to access some specialist courses delivered from Riseholme College. These are currently:

  • Agriculture (Level 2 or above)
  • Environmental Studies (Level 2 or above)
  • Horticulture (Level 2 or above)
  • Arboriculture (Level 2 or above)
  • Equine management (Level 2 or above)

Transport support is also available under the policy to students following courses in:

  • Access to music (Lincoln only) 

We support the above if the following distance criterion is met:  

  • the distance from home to college is over three miles but less than 45 miles
  • the student contribution is paid

Transport support is also available to the following University Technical Colleges (UTC) if:

  • the chosen college is the nearest post 16 college to the student's home address
  • is over three miles distant and the contribution is paid:
    • Lincoln UTC
    • Peterborough UTC 
    • Scunthorpe UTC 


Where a young person does not qualify against the entitlement criteria described above, they may be able to utilise spare seats on contracted vehicles (non-fare paying) serving schools and colleges, where there is no commercial 'fare paying' service in the area. These are known as 'concessionary seats':

  • we offer these seats at the same charging rate as for entitled learners (£570 per annum in 2021 to 2022)
  • the charge is calculated on a daily basis depending on when the seat is offered
  • concessionary travel or spare seat allocation is given at our discretion
  • we can withdraw the offer at short notice if the seat is needed for a learner entitled to transport support

Please ring 01522 782020 for application details.


  • is part of  our public transport network
  • operates on a pre-booking basis (no more than one week ahead in most cases) 
  • transports people from specific pick-up points to specific set-down locations
  • anyone can use the service for any purpose
  • costs no more to use than standard bus services
  • registration is free

It may therefore be of use to some learners who do not qualify for a bus or train pass under our policy. You can obtain details by ringing 0345 234 3344 or 01522 553143 or from the website.

Details of fares, concessions, discounts, subsidies, passes and other travel arrangements available in Lincolnshire

From local bus operators

Provision of public transport in Lincolnshire is mainly by local bus operators, who offer services on a commercial basis. We support a number of local bus services to enable people to access services. Most operators have weekly or monthly travel card schemes, discounts and promotions.  These can be confirmed with the operators directly.

For some students living in urban areas and travelling on shorter journeys, these schemes may offer a cheaper alternative to what we offer. Students and families living in these areas are encouraged to research their travel options before making a decision on their preferred provider. The LincsBus website can be used to find details of services. Alternatively, travel information is available from:

From schools and colleges and other providers offering post 16 courses

Schools with sixth form provision and colleges of further education have some funding available to help students with expenses connected with their study, including travel costs. This funding is known as 'bursary funding' as follows:

The 16 to 19 Bursary Fund

This provides financial support to help young people overcome specific barriers to participation so they can remain in education. 

There are two types of 16 to 19 bursaries: 

  1. a vulnerable bursary of up to £1,200 a year for young people in one of the defined vulnerable groups below: 
    • in care 
    • care leavers 
    • in receipt of Income Support, or Universal Credit in place of Income Support, in their own right 
    • in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit and Disability Living or Personal Independence Payments in their own right
  2. discretionary bursaries which institutions award to meet individual needs, for example help with the cost of:
    • transport
    • meals
    • books
    • equipment 

To be eligible for the discretionary bursary young people must: 

  • be aged 16 or over but under 19 at 31 August 2021 or 
  • be aged 19 or over at 31 August 2021 and have an EHCP 
  • be aged 19 or over at 31 August 2021 and continuing on a programme of learning they began aged 16 to 18 (‘19plus continuers’) 
  • be studying a programme that is subject to inspection by a public body which assures quality (such as Ofsted). The provision must also be funded by either a Government funding agency or the local authority

Schools and colleges are responsible for managing both types of bursary. Establishments are able to implement their own policies. We advise that you contact them directly to discuss the support on offer and how to apply for it.  There is further information on bursary funds on the website

Additionally, some schools and colleges contract transport directly with bus operators in their area to support their students. Unfortunately we are unable to verify the exact level and method of support offered by all individual institutions.  We therefore strongly recommend that learners check for themselves any offer of support available from education providers.

Young parents or Care to Learn  

If you are a young parent under aged 20, Care to Learn can help pay for your childcare and related travel costs, up to £160 per child per week, while you are learning. 

Care to Learn can help with the cost of: 

  • childcare, including deposit and registration fees
  • a childcare 'taster' session (up to five days) 
  • keeping your childcare place over the summer holidays  
  • taking your child to the childcare provider 

Types of child care 

The childcare provider must be Ofsted registered and can be a: 

  • childminder  
  • pre-school playgroup
  • day nursery 
  • out of school club 

If your child needs specialist childcare, the provider must be on the Care Quality Commission's register for specialist provision. 

If you want a relative to get Care to Learn for looking after your child they need to be both:

  • providing registered childcare for children they’re not related to
  • living apart from you and your child 


Childcare payments go directly to your childcare provider. 

Before your childcare provider can be paid: 

  • your childcare provider needs to confirm your child's attendance
  • your school or college needs to confirm that you are attending your course 

Payments for travel costs go to your school or college.  They will either pay you or arrange travel for you. 

Attendance payments will stop if:

  • you stop attending your course
  • you finish your course
  • your child stops attending childcare


You can get Care to Learn if:

  • you are a parent aged under 20 at the start of your course
  • you are the main carer for your child
  • you live in England 
  • you are either a British citizen or a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country
  • your course is publicly funded (check with your school or college)
  • your childcare provider is registered with Ofsted or the Care Quality Commission  

Type of course 

Care to Learn is only available for courses in England that have some public funding. This includes courses that take place in:

  • schools
  • school sixth forms
  • sixth form colleges
  • other colleges and learning providers, including Foundation Learning
  • your community at Children’s Centres 

More information is available on the website.