Housing and living independently

Where to start

There are different housing types for a young person or adult with special educational needs, mental ill-health or a disability.

You can have continuous care, live in someone else’s home or get help to live on your own or with friends.  

The type of housing you can get will depend on what help you need with day-to-day living and what you can afford.  

In your own home  

You can live:  

  • with other family members  
  • with friends  
  • in a home you own  
  • in a home you rent  


Once you are 18, you are legally able to sign in to a private rent tenancy. A tenancy gives you important rights and some responsibilities. You should not feel forced or rushed into making a quick decision.   

There are different ways in which you can rent:  

  • directly from the landlord  
  • through a letting agent  
  • council and housing association homes